Advice Request Is Avast and AVG still popular as an Antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i have installed the avg free antivirus. I can remember that there was an old performance tweak thread with avast @Evjl's Rain
is it possible to show me some options to optimize the avg free for better performance?
THX a lot

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
i have installed the avg free antivirus. I can remember that there was an old performace tweak thread with avast @Evjl's Rain
is it possible to show me some options to optimize the avg free for better performance?
THX a lot
In the geek area (entering in the search field of the settings geek:area) enable cache writing from all scan and immediately perform a full scan. You can have a look at the Do not Disturb mode as well (configure it to boost performance of apps of your choice by giving them higher priority).
Also, in antivirus settings you can configure scan only on execution and disable archives scanning.

All of the performance tweaks are minor improvement (the Avast engine draws 15% on full scan so on real time protection it will be times less). Majority of CPU activity is performed by the IDP (graph writing for the behavioural blocking). There are no tweaks to reduce that.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
In my country, these are popular security programmes. But Avast is the more well-known and mostly installed software.
I used to use AVG and have good memories of it.

Reactions: Trident

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
i have installed the avg free antivirus. I can remember that there was an old performance tweak thread with avast @Evjl's Rain
THX a lot
this is the link to my old tweaks for avast in 2020
you can try to do similarly in avg

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've always preferred AVG over Avast. They've always had the better UI and the free version doesn't annoy users, at least as much. As always, get familiar with the settings to take advantage of options and set it to your preference.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I think all security programs are intrusive, all free versions monetized, and companies part of economies with intrusive policies (including "eyes" nations). Meanwhile, more features may lead to slowdown, common sense, etc., won't help as much given malware that are activated without user interaction, and costs can be high (cheap with promo prices, and then they go up, with high costs if you need to pay for several devices).

Given these, you are better off looking at your budget, and then using the AV that fits that but has the most protection but tolerable effects on computer performance.

For free versions, you will likely choose from Avast, AVG, and Kaspersky. If you're willing to accept some lack of features, you may include Avira and Bitdefender, or just stick to the one built-in in Windows. You can also tweak the latter, but keep in mind that there's a reason why those tweaks are disabled by default. Similar applies to security programs where you'll be asked to allow or deny various apps: if you make a mistake, you can cause the system to malfunction, and you'll have to figure out what to undo to solve that.

From there, YMMV, especially when you test them using benchmarking programs like Novabench and try all sorts of tasks. In my case, Kaspersky appears to be the best, but I suspect that random BSODs are caused by its use of virtualization (which I had to disable in the hardware) and my system being old (the BIOS is from 2016), so I went back to Avast.

I remember using AVG, and it was OK, but when I tried to uninstall it to test another AV, part of it stayed in the system and I could only remove it by doing a repair install of the OS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.