Battle Is Bitdefender better then ESET or Kaspersky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

De_Haos

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
Just wondering if Bitdefender is better like they say?
Which would you chose between : ESET Smart Security 5 ,Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2013?

What do you think?

softwarezone

Oct 18, 2012
If you want simple , effective and low resource then go for ESET..
But if you want some advance feature like bit-defender safe-pay for online banking... then go for bitdefender but bitdefender is heavy resource to your computer.
Want to save some money on ESET, Bitdefender or Kaspersky deal then send a PM for that....

And about Kaspersky I don't know....

P

Plexx

softwarezone said:
If you want simple , effective and low resource then go for ESET..
But if you want some advance feature like bit-defender safe-pay for online banking... then go for bitdefender but bitdefender is heavy resource to your computer.
Want to save some money on ESET, Bitdefender or Kaspersky deal then send a PM for that....

And about Kaspersky I don't know....

BD is not as heavy on resources as Kaspersky.

If we are looking ad advanced features then its Kaspersky hands down. Kaspersky also has relatively good protection as opposed to the problematic 2013 BD.

If memory serves me right however, Kaspersky requires tweaking for maximum security whilst ESET works just out of the box (one setting to change is HIPS to learning mode).

There are giveaways for all 3 products scattered through the forums here and on the internet.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Bit-defender is like McAfee to me i.e the most worst paid security software. ESET is light Fast even on 256 MB RAM PC the old 1 i had. And Kaspersky Internet Security is not good but its antivirus is fabulous the best and the consistent winner. KIS make my new 4 gb RAM PC like old 2 gb RAM PC. ESET takes many time to install and uninstall which i don't like and kaspersky only uninstalling problem. After uninstalling Kaspersky many registry keys left behind and settings. I think the best antivirus is Avast free no installation problem even on windows 8 very fast install. Very much configurable antivirus and The most satisfying GUI for me. Also u can update to it next version from the inbuilt GUI which not many paid antivirus Have. Its detection rate is always more than 95 % which is very nice and the best feature is boot-time scanner. So i would go with Avast free + Comodo Firewall + ON Demand Scanners. I know comodo only blocks and not removes threats to remove u've to use CIS but that's the job of a firewall right to block suspicious behaviour it isn't a antivirus so how can it remove them.

S

starchild76

I had bitedefender Internet Security and as stated in many test , It is the best product up to date : high detection rates , good blocking and cleaning capabilities! on the other hand : heavy on system recources and the program suffers from bugs very often , so they have to patch it occasionaly....Kaspersky is also a good suite , high detection rates , good web blocker , but also heavy on the system! and eset is very good also uses a lot of ram but it doesen't slow your system down. If it where my call , I would definately go for eset smart security , used it for some time and I whas quite satisfied with it :) the scanning speed ( whole system scan ) is amazing , very quick , while kaspersky and bitdefender can take up some time to scan your system.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
BitDefender and Kaspersky have been on the roll for some time now, it's a question of personal preferences about granularity of settings and performance, since they seem so evenly matched in their capabilities, as evident by various AV tests.

BitDefender 2013 is heaps better than its predecessor, 2012, which marked a significant departure from their products up to that point. They switched to almost all-encapsulating interface and severely limited the available options, for silent and easy-to-use security. I'll not mention the performance, functionality and usability issues of that release, since that's all in the past - 2013 versions are very light and responsive, with almost non-perceptible impact on performance. Startup can still be affected, however, as well as watching video content, but the overall improvement compared to last version is pretty impressive. They've also made improvements to their compatibility with other security products, at least that's my experience with it. Updates are a point to consider - frequent and rather large, a sign of scope for development effort to improve effectiveness and reduce redundancy.

Kaspersky on the other hand has kept the countless settings, which can be helpful in trying to mitigate the more noticeable system impact, as well as getting as paranoid or as lax as you feel like in terms of levels of protection. Hardened settings will cause noticeable drag, but you can safely take it down a notch or two and still be very secure. If only they can achieve the sort of turnaround in performance and optimization that made Norton one of the lightweights of the industry...

Application control to me is pretty impressive, too. They've dropped Safe Run in 2013 version and replaced it with Safe Money instead, unlike BitDefender which kept the sandboxing functionality [in their browser toolbar] and implemented SafePay too. The online protection is very comprehensive and effective.

ESET to me just doesn't have that distinguishing point of difference or advantage, the unique selling proposition to make me get interested in it, it just works - lightweight, simple and reliable, poised and accomplished enough to not cause any ripples of discontent, effortless performance which could be mistaken for mediocrity.

D

Deleted member 178

NathanF1 said:
ESET to me just doesn't have that distinguishing point of difference or advantage, the unique selling proposition to make me get interested in it, it just works - lightweight, simple and reliable, poised and accomplished enough to not cause any ripples of discontent, effortless performance which could be mistaken for mediocrity.

i disagree, ESET has many features that are well done and as efficient as the two others: HIPS, Web Filter, SSL filter, detailed removal drives shield, etc... but it does with a far lighter resources usage

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
The same question is being asked (ESET vs BD vs Kaspersky) many times in this forum,I think...the same question was asked by me a month ago....this is just my suggestion for war rooms section...when the question to compare products like this one is repetitive,moderators must ask the poster to refer to the previous threads..this will reduce the amount of posts I think!

thewul

Level 1
Verified
Nov 18, 2012
Personally I prefer Kaspersky 2013 over Bitdefender (I can't judge ESET).
KIS is way better (and to me more logical) on the point settings, has a better GUI, detailed reporting.
Their license-policy is less flexable though: Bitdefender has a strong product with their Sphere 2013
or 'Family pack' (can't really figure out the differences between these two).

Family pack/Sphere 2013
"This product can cover up to 3 or 5 users and is intended for home use only! Each user can protect an unlimited number of devices."

=

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Despite Vulnerabilities Scanners in some paid suites, Kaspersky goes a step further with the use of some innovative technology to prevent Exploits, called Automatic Exploit Prevention (AEP for short).

MRG Effitas – Comparative Assessment of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 - August 2012 said:
Conclusion: (...)
Then we tested it according to the AEP test methodology which was described above. KIS 2013 again blocked all samples. Within the context of these tests, it is clear that the Kaspersky AEP technology was able to protect the system from the attacks used.

From the results of these tests, it would appear that the AEP technology provides a valuable layer of protection in the absence of blacklisting against new threats.
Read in-full (PDF)

About Kaspersky AEP (PDF)

From the choices above I would choose ESET for own reasons and personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.