Advice Request Is Bitdefender really that good

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Bitdefender THAT good?

• Yes, it's actually THAT good.

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • It's okay, but not THAT good.

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • No, it's not good.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Never used Bitdefender.

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

advanced_skill

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
Bitdefender consistently performs very well across a variety of independent antivirus tests. However, is Bitdefender really that good? I always thought Bitdefender was just overrated.

Frankly, I am interested in using Bitdefender: They frequently share giveaways; their products are always on sale; their digital dragon background behind their ALL CAPS sans serif font is one of the best marketing strategies I've ever seen, and is really the only reason I want to use their software.

Everyone knows that when it comes to the "best" antivirus, it always depends on personal preference. I'm just asking whether Bitdefender bribes antivirus testers to give them high ratings (basically, are their products as good as the test results?).

Or should I just fork over my cash to Eugene Kaspersky and buy Total Security, and use the 1 out of 55 features that I paid for?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I voted: It's okay, but not that good.

I agree that their homepage is excellent and captivating, and it's most probably for marketing purposes.

As for its effectiveness, I think it's effective considering that many vendors choose their signature-based engine. One of the most reputable companies, for example, Emsisoft, chose Bitdefender's engine.

What I just don't like about Bitdefender is their lack of explanations about how their different technologies work.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I think they have to conceal details to keep their products more security effective. And of course it's marketing approach.
I acknowledge that, but I think there are other ways they could explain their technologies well without too much details. Avast, Kaspersky, and basically others, have done this well.

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
I'm being honest here, I've tested many AV programs and Bitdefenders sigs are on point but the main problem in my opinion is the messy UI, For example, If you've got a false positive it's a pain to try and restore it as it takes 2 minutes to literally find where it's stored in the program

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I'm being honest here, I've tested many AV programs and Bitdefenders sigs are on point but the main problem in my opinion is the messy UI, For example, If you've got a false positive it's a pain to try and restore it as it takes 2 minutes to literally find where it's stored in the program

That's because they target their products not to tech persons but to those who like install-and-forget approach. That's why they have awesome site unlike Comodo. Comodo site is even a bit untidy.

I have similar experience when I tried to tune FW of TS or IS to ask for outbound connections. I have to write to support team to help me with this actually basic procedure. To their credit they answered rather quickly.

N

NullByte

It's okay, but not THAT good.
The best thing about BitDefender is AVC, it's really good against unknown samples. But, if you use some type of crypter or code protection it's useless. BitDefender is not that good against scriptors, ransomware and anything that is more advance then a basic malware.

I think it's better then ESET and a few other security products.

H

hjlbx

Bitdefender is OK. It has bugs. It has poor documentation so people can't figure out how it works and what to expect. It has some quirky operation. It takes a long time for BD to fix things. Usual stuff...

It can be heavy on some systems.

The AVC and IDS are good.

I like the set-and-forget (AutoPilot) for laptops... but I don't need such nonsense as BD. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's okay, but not THAT good.
Because no AV is THAT good.
It is about as good as you can get for traditional malware detection, and it runs nicely on windows 10 without slowing down the system.
Install BD before your other security softs, and then you can add other programs for tighter protection afterwards.
for instance, Hitmanpro.Alert is compatible, if you install it after BD. Then you have the best of both worlds: strong detection, and strong anti-exploit.
Add to that a program like Voodooshield, and your system is pretty hard to beat

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I will vote It's okay, but not THAT good.
I use it last year, it have good detection and comprehensive security feature. However, system impact is heavy and it's signature file size is big. But if you have a rig with fixed (and fast) connection, maybe it's good to have BD.

H

hjlbx

BD is definitely one of the better internet security suites - especially for a laptop.

As it is, one is better off with Emsisoft or Webroot (WSA is incredibly light, has very good detection, and has solid sensitive data protection for protected apps - which is its main strength - and not its rollback feature).

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Bitdefender is a good product especially from starters who wants solid protection.

However... issues arises like heavy on some certain computers and stability while the program running.

Compare to Kaspersky and few others then Bitdefender is not indeed in the top notch. I agree on AVC, IDS and other variety of features works flawlessly and effective.

The only problem is common worms attacks (USB autoru) still manage to bypass by Bitdefender itself.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Bitdefender is a good antivirus. In the latest updates it is lighter and faster, although we must remember that any antivirus is perfect, but BD has also a good web protection, and it guarantees good detection ratio. You can see this with your eyes: AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview Bitfender blocked in the test 100% and it had 0 false positives. Good, not?
For me Bitdefender, Avast, Avira Pro and Trend Micro can guarantee a super protection; but it is quite sure that it is needed a lot of common sense and maybe a good second opinion scanner.
This is my opinion on BD, now it's up to you! ;)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Bitdefendser is good but not 100% for me. Based on my experience it was really heavy and hard to do any hrdcore gaming or browsing. Great detection rates at times. If you use it your set. If not be sure to have at least some sort of AV or protection.

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
Bitdefendser is good but not 100% for me. Based on my experience it was really heavy and hard to do any hrdcore gaming or browsing. Great detection rates at times. If you use it your set. If not be sure to have at least some sort of AV or protection.

I have pc from 2009, and latest Bit Total Security (20.0.29.1517) and it runs smooth and fast (I have 4 gb of ram, and quad core cpu) when you put intrusion detection system to max and on access scanning to max and active threat control to max you are good to go!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I have pc from 2009, and latest Bit Total Security (20.0.29.1517) and it runs smooth and fast (I have 4 gb of ram, and quad core cpu) when you put intrusion detection system to max and on access scanning to max and active threat control to max you are good to go!

I just have not been lucky with running certain programs. I think Bit defender is good but I will stick to Avast Free. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.