Advice Request Is Bitdefender Trustable anymore?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hi MalwareTips :)

i have a question in my mind since 2 months ago ( i haerd about this for the first time 2 months ago ) since i heard about this : AntiVirus Firm BitDefender Hacked; Turns Out Stored Passwords Are UnEncrypted

and something worst is that BitDefender had no statement against that news...

now the biggest question in my mind is that Is BitDefender Trustable anymore?
hope you guys can help me to find an answer for my concern :D

All the Best,
Parham
They made a mistake, "to err is human" right?
This does not make them "untrustworthy" by any stretch of the imagination ;)
You forgot to post this part of that article ;)
QUOTE:
"The issue was immediately resolved, and additional security measures have been put in place to prevent its reoccurrence," the company’s spokesperson said in a statement. "Our investigation revealed no other server or services were impacted." END
I would still trust them just as I still trust LastPass after their incident as things like this only serve to
educate and make good companies stronger.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I don't think that bitdefender cares so much about treating their customers nice, maybe that's why they didn't bother to encrypt the passwords.

But on the other hand, I don't think a bitdefender password is so critical. It's not your email or your bank account or your facebook.

They should care. It's not only about customer relationship. It is about security. And as a cybersecurity company, they are expected to show a minimum standard, which means protecting (encypting) confidential data.
It could be critical. Some people use the same passwords in several different services. With a bit of social engineering, one could potentially obtain valuable data from BD customers.

W

Wave

BitDefender failed in your tests?
Just so you know, take all video reviews with a grain of salt; as an extension to this post, remember that no product is bullet-proof and there will always be a sample out there which can bypass it somehow (if not now, then in the near future). No BB/HIPS, no sandbox is full-proof, and static detection methods are not reliable as much as they used to be (and are becoming more and more obsolete as the days go by).

You should test the product out yourself and see if you feel comfortable using it, every security product has failed before at multiple occasions. It's just how it works.

I think because petya was there long ago + it makes system unbootable.
They don't protect the Master Boot Record via dynamic approaches, however if they did this via a filter from a device driver, then they'd prevent Petya, while also preventing normal bootkit attacks (which are actually more rare than you think these days).

OMG! i'm worried about my privacy then you say Avast ? : ))) god help us :D:D never trust Avast or Avira ..
Millions of people trust both of those vendors, and Avast are one of the most popular and well-known security vendors which exist to date... Avast are definitely much more known than vendors like Emsisoft (even if their products are not as powerful). The same applies to other vendors like Symantec (Norton), AVG, and even McAfee.

They made a mistake, "to err is human" right?
This does not make them "untrustworthy" by any stretch of the imagination ;)
You forgot to post this part of that article ;)
They should care. It's not only about customer relationship. It is about security. And as a cybersecurity company, they are expected to show a minimum standard, which means protecting (encypting) confidential data.
I agree with both these quotes, but like @_CyberGhosT_ said, "to err is human" right? ;)

Expect all major security and related software solution provider sites, servers, etc to be targeted. Sometimes the hacks will get through. Also, as a user it is unrealistic to expect that antivirus\suites to block 100 % of all threats 100 % of the time.

Don't rate antivirus\suites on how close to 100 % they are, but instead rate them based upon how much of an improvement they are over the default built-in Windows security (Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, SmartScreen, etc). This method is more realistic.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I agree with both these quotes, but like @_CyberGhosT_ said, "to err is human" right? ;)

:) Of course! And that shouldn't make Bitdefender less trustworthy; it is still a reputable company, in my opinion. One may not like its antivirus solution (me, for example) for its system impact, zero-day protection etc., but that's another story. What I meant to say is that one shouldn't simply downplay this (alleged) mistake as it could have consequences for some BD users.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
i just finished a chat with BitDefender Commerical Support ( he/she said he/she is the supervisor of their shift and his/her answer is official ! )

Part of our chat:

January 26, 2017, 12:42 pm - Parham : what was BitDefender Official Statement against this news: AntiVirus Firm BitDefender Hacked; Turns Out Stored Passwords Are UnEncrypted
January 26, 2017, 12:43 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Bitdefender was chosen the best security solution worldwide 5 years in a row.
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : thats clear already for me, thats why i'm here
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : but still that is a question, i need an answer
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : there is no where so i can ask my question?
January 26, 2017, 12:45 pm - Alexandra Ivan : What is your question? What do you mean by "it was not solved"?
January 26, 2017, 12:46 pm - Parham : as you can see, Hacker claimed that Customers Passwords was Uncrypted ! was that true?
January 26, 2017, 12:46 pm - Parham : thats it.
January 26, 2017, 12:47 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Our customer's account are perfect safe.
January 26, 2017, 12:48 pm - Parham : Ok then. is this answer official? you got this from a supervisor? hope you underestand my concern
January 26, 2017, 12:49 pm - Alexandra Ivan : I am the supervisor of this shift actually. I perfect understand your concern but there is no reason for you to think about this. Our customer's account are perfectly safe.
January 26, 2017, 12:50 pm - Parham : Thanks! i have no more question, i wish you have a gread Day :)
January 26, 2017, 12:50 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Thank you for choosing Bitdefender Chat Support! Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance, as we are here 24/7. Have a great day!

Sounds to me that you just got a typical response from a customer support agent. Nothing new.

Who knows what happens behind the scenes at Bitdefender. I do agree that nothing is perfect. People make mistakes.

BUT one conversation with a support agent isn't enough to convince everyone that Bitdefender is clueless.

P.S. Thanks for the post.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
hmm wait for another comments :)

guys please join our discussion :) @Evjl's Rain?
@omidomi ?
I do't trust this company any more after they reply my question rudely.
also they show us that they do't pay attention to users data "same as that event"
So execpt my idea; those software is bugware "king of bug" why you want waste your money for buy a worst software when you can buy better one? han? :)
Also I prefer Kaspersky,Emsisoft,Eset,... you have wide range of software to use! ;)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
In short BitDefender says that the hacker could not penetrate the full server, but he got access to a few usernames and passwords through a vulnerability.
But BD does not explain how many data of its customers were compromised, but it states generally that these “are less than 1% of small and medium-sized businesses".

Actually I don't like this answer and also only one user has to be protected.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I must admit their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, very poor and sometimes rude, especially when you know more than them, but Kaspersky did when I asked about the limitations he accused me of being a liar, until I pointed to the online manual then he apologized.

I must admit their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, very poor and sometimes rude, especially when you know more than them, but Kaspersky did when I asked about the limitations he accused me of being a liar, until I pointed to the online manual then he apologized.

Your experiences are unfortunately typical. It is best for your well-being to use most support as a last resort. I say most since there are some great support systems and teams out there - albeit very few.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks a lot for your helpful replies guys
i'm going to test G-Data customer service myself, about their protection i trust them.

Reactions: AtlBo

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
New Most replies were criticism about your questions. :p
every opinion worth to respect :D

New Emsisoft is one of the best
GData is powerfull too as much as Emsisoft is. but the worst thing about Emsisoft is that they don't care the one who have a problem, is their customer or not ! for example, if you have an Urgent infection you should go to their forum and open a topic just like another peoples which may be another company's customers ! i mean whats your diffrence with the others? what is the meaning of priority?
+also Fabian Wosar is rude as much as BitDefender support guys are : ))

K

KGBagent47

please share your reasons for that maybe could help me in my decision, i almost want to go with BD :)
I'm using BIS on one desktop and KAV on the other. Gun to the head I'll give Kaspersky the edge. I think their software is slightly more optimized.

That being said BIS has been GREAT for protection, on a computer used by a complete security noob who opens and deals with strange work emails and attachments. Plus it's my opinion that Bitdefender probably does a better job combating PUP's than Kaspersky.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
For everyone concerned about privacy, AV Comparatives did comparison about data transmission back in 2014. In PDF, you can find some well known companies and info about what they collect. Here's a link to PDF.

Check out "Can user opt out of sending files?" part. Even though Avast collects a lot of data, users can easily turn off data sharing. Also, they said that when they collect URLs, they remove everything that can identify you. Even when you're installing Avast, there's warning in which is explained how and why they collect it. A lot of companies won't tell you that, but some will notify you and tell you how to turn it off. Some of antivirus companies are from EU so that's another level of security. EU has very strict rules about privacy and data collection, just remember what they told Microsoft about Windows 10.

For lazy ones I have pictures. :D

Data Collection - 1.png
Data Collection - 2.png

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
When I used Emsisoft when I emailed tech support they replied with 1-2hrs, I think they are by far one of the best consumer help and support of all the AV companies.
Same here, I have never had an issue that went un-responded to for more than a few hours
and Mr. Ott over there is a miracle worker ;)

Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.