Advice Request Is built-in Windows Firewall enough?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

May i ask what exactly is the system in question used for? This should be the very first thing any user asks before recommending or giving advice, as it will make all the difference.

Do you use the system as a main hub on your network, do you have multiple devices on that network, if answer is yes to those 2 questions, then you may want to think about a 3rd party application with network monitoring and protections.

If it is the only system you have, and you use it mainly for light surfing, email checking ect as most average users, then yes, windows firewall is enough.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

images.jpg

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
"block all connections" means blocking everything but it only appears in Inbound connection
the "Block" in outbound connection will switch WF to Medium blocking mode like in WFC => when something wants to connect, it must have an allow rule, if I recall it right

I tried to use it but it's super annoying to create rules for every process

just saw your post, I knew that too and it created a lot of headache to find out what was blocked

No pain, no gain. And thats coming from a pre-installed firewall :ROFLMAO:.
U wan something easy to configure? get a 3rd party app to do that for you at the expense of compatibility and resources.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
IMO it is enough. It does exactly what a firewall is supposed to do: Not much. If you have a good AV that also inspects packages and keeps an eye on what programs access Windows Firewall settings. What I don't understand is why Microsoft sticks to the old layout that no longer fits into Windows 10 UI landscape when they have already redesigned the Firewall in Windows Admin Center/Project Honolulu.
In that tool, you can access your Firewall through your browser on a port.
project-honolulu-firewall.png

So simple. Far more beautiful. Still no function to filter/search through the rules though...

Reactions: oldschool
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.