Advice Request Is "camera scam" good or bad?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Aznhunt

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
So I've been getting this pop-up lately and it shows this:
Avast Popup.png
So Avast has been trying so hard lately to get me pay for their "Total Security Suite"And it shows me this pop-up.. but there's nothing to see there it's just a black image..So what should i do? Is this pop-up just trying to worry me about my privacy? because i disabled the webcam.The point is can hackers still see me even if i disabled the webcam? Because Avast clearly can't see me (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aznhunt

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
If you have disabled your webcam or if your webcam is not working, due to having an incompatible driver installed, then they wont't be able to see you.
Sorry i know nothing about laptop hardware but.. whats the three dots beside the webcam for? Two left and one right..

Reactions: Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do not upgrade Avast.

There are better ways to disable / prevent Webcam usage.

If you use Windows 10 April 2018 Update, you have plenty of Privacy and Permission options to BLOCK apps from accessing your Webcam and Microphone. -- See exceptions quote.

Other ways to How to Disable Your Webcam (and Why You Should)
- Disable via Device Manager
- Use black tape to cover camera.

Important - Exceptions:
"Desktop apps won’t appear in your Choose which apps can access your camera or Choose which apps can access your microphone lists and are not affected by the Allow apps to access your camera or Allow apps to access your microphone setting. To allow or block desktop apps, use the settings in those applications."
From Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy – Microsoft privacy

Privacy settings below are for Apps from the Microsoft Store.
1527240908109.png

Aznhunt

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
If you use Windows 10 April 2018 Update, you have plenty of Privacy and Permission options to BLOCK apps from accessing your Webcam and Microphone. -- See exceptions quote.

Privacy settings below are for Apps from the Microsoft Store.
View attachment 189085
If you read my post correctly,
You should've seen that iv'e already did that.. Im just asking if AVAST Can still see me after that option
Also i removed my black tape a LONG time ago.. since i'am worried it will damage my camera afterwards.. and paper under it too
Thanks tho.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You asked about.. as you put it Is "camera scam" is good or bad? and I responded, which yes, relates to Avast Webcam Shield (the correct term). I provided an answer that was aimed to be informative and helpful to others, as well to back my view about Avoiding the Upgrade.

On Windows 10, excluding Device Manager, and without Avast Webcam Shield, there are ways to prevents Apps from accessing the Webcam and Microphone.

The sticker residue can easily be removed, and there's no damage to the camera itself, as the tape covers the plastic lens only.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.