Is CamStudio safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild76

the program itself is safe , the only downfall is , that the installer package is riddled with bundled with pups and adware! when you want to install it , be sure that you have unchecky installed. after an install run adwcleaner , to make sure nio adware or other junk is left.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
the program itself is safe , the only downfall is , that the installer package is riddled with bundled with pups and adware! when you want to install it , be sure that you have unchecky installed. after an install run adwcleaner , to make sure nio adware or other junk is left.
and FastStone Capture?

S

starchild76

faststone is a more respected company , you can go with that I think , or someone else on mt might have another opinion about that??

Reactions: Kent
M

Manzai

In Free software, I prefer HyperCam 2, no PUP :p

In paid, I love Camtasia Studio

D

Deleted member 21043

Hi there mate,

Would you mind sending me a PM of the installer package/executable you have for Camstudio?
While Camstudio itself is safe and not malicious, the installer could be bundled with Potentially Unwanted Programs.

As well as that, are you downloading the installer directly from the Official Camstudio website? Downloading elsewhere may result in a infected package, more PUPs and so on.

Thank you.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Quihoo 360 found a trojan(adware) in Camstudio and quarantined when downloading from official website, strangely it's just 600KB and a zip file. :oops:

dj1r8Pb.png

While Softpedia gives a clean certificate: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Recording/Camstudio.shtml
The installer there is a .exe file and size is 11MB and free of virus.

Now this seems strange.

R

RevolutionSphere

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Quihoo 360 found a trojan(adware) in Camstudio and quarantined when downloading from official website, strangely it's just 600KB and a zip file. :oops:

dj1r8Pb.png

While Softpedia gives a clean certificate: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Recording/Camstudio.shtml
The installer there is a .exe file and size is 11MB and free of virus.

Now this seems strange.
Have you run the exe file that you downloaded from softpedia? It looks strange that downloading the file from the original site is just few KBs and softpedia has it in 10~11 MB .Looks like softpedia has the offline installer and the original site hosts web installer.......

M

MalwareT

I'm using Camtasia Studio 7 (paid) and FasStone Capture (paid, low price) and i'm very satisfied,video recorded with FastStone 40Min=55MB :D If you set quality to high, everything is good. :)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Have you run the exe file that you downloaded from softpedia? It looks strange that downloading the file from the original site is just few KBs and softpedia has it in 10~11 MB .Looks like softpedia has the offline installer and the original site hosts web installer.......

The version at Softpedia is 2.7.2 r326 and is a 11MB installer and is clean.
The version at SourceForge is 2.7 r316 and is a 3MB installer and is clean.
The version at official website is 2.7.2 and is a 600KB zip file with a lot of adware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.