Is COMODO good choice for Antivirus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You want to know all about comodo?

1- Do this : Guide on how to install and configure Comodo Firewall

2- Once familiar with it , read this : Question - Comodo Internet Security v8 Setup/configuration thread

Then after getting used to Comodo, when you feel the Force, you may try one of those expert paranoid setups ^^ : Comodo Internet Security v8 Setup/configuration thread (Setting Only)
(some users and me , had spent lot of time on Comodo to achieve those effective configs)

Comodo default settings are weak, they must be tweaked. Remember that comodo has weird bugs never fixed since day one, we mentioned some of them. Comodo is for advanced users with good knowledge of their OS.

The AV is not the strong point , only the HIPS & BB.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Did you try CIS/CFW or CCAV? Because CCAV used to have the problem you mentioned but not CIS/CFW from what i know.
I tried this time with CIS, and same issue. There are certain processes, like my intel graphics system tray, that show up in the list of exceptions to auto-sandbox. But they still get sandboxed anyway.
It does the same thing to the windows process "svchost.exe", sometimes dragging certain sub-processes along with it.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I tried this time with CIS, and same issue. There are certain processes, like my intel graphics system tray, that show up in the list of exceptions to auto-sandbox. But they still get sandboxed anyway.
It does the same thing to the windows process "svchost.exe", sometimes dragging certain sub-processes along with it.
Maybe they failed with something since last time i used it because i didn't have anything sandboxed that had an exception. Don't know what to tell you because i no longer use anything from Comodo and i doubt that will change anytime soon.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe they failed with something since last time i used it because i didn't have anything sandboxed that had an exception. Don't know what to tell you because i no longer use anything from Comodo and i doubt that will change anytime soon.
yes, it is as buggy as ever, unfortunately, although their concept is awesome.
I won't even bother to mention all the other bugs that flew in my face when I installed it

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Well I decided to try something a little different. I was going to try the Zonealarm Pro Firewall 2017, since I found it with a discount for $14.00...

But then I decided to go with Comodo Cloud AV, along with ExeRadar Pro, and Windows Firewall Control. This way I could have a lite configuration, and a little bit of all worlds. Cloud AV, a lite sandbox, and outbound firewall control.

Seems real nice and light.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well I decided to try something a little different. I was going to try the Zonealarm Pro Firewall 2017, since I found it with a discount for $14.00...

But then I decided to go with Comodo Cloud AV, along with ExeRadar Pro, and Windows Firewall Control. This way I could have a lite configuration, and a little bit of all worlds. Cloud AV, a lite sandbox, and outbound firewall control.

Seems real nice and light.
FYI, comodo cloud AV is weak, don't rely on it too much, but their auto-sandbox function is very good protection! If you set that up right, and it works for you (i.e. it is not overly buggy) you don't even need NVT ERP.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
okay, I think I have it figured out now.
It seems I applied the wrong trust settings.
right now, it is sandboxing 4 instances of svchost.exe, which are listed as subprocesses of a comodo file called cmdvirth.exe. But it doesn't seem to be bothering anything, and I am assuming that is normal behavior...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
right now, it is sandboxing 4 instances of svchost.exe, which are listed as subprocesses of a comodo file called cmdvirth.exe. But it doesn't seem to be bothering anything, and I am assuming that is normal behavior...
Correct, it's normal.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
comodo should be used only with comodo firewall
Comodo AVs are poor. I believe WinDefender is better

I mean comodo is good with its HIPS and autosandbox while signature-based detection is poor

Reactions: nikos200
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Now I'm trying Panda free, Windows Firewall Controller, NVTERP, and Hitman Pro Alert....Damn it that's enough, don't need anymore security software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
well, I spoke too soon. CIS and CF stopped sandboxing my apps because the autosandbox function was simply not working.
so I decided to try CCAV again, and autosandbox does work, but it started sandboxing my intel graphic control module again, despite the digital signatures and all.
It seems there is something pretty wierd about this particular process, because I noticed that kaspersky does not allow that system tray icon to display. (I don't have kaspersky installed right now, of course. I am speaking from past experience)
So, maybe this is not such a deal-breaker, because I never use the graphic control box, and if I need to, I can take just it out of sandbox. As long as autosandbox leaves my other apps alone, I should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.