Guide on how to install and configure Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'Comodo' started by Chiron, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I've created a guide about How to Install Comodo Firewall.

Please check it out and leave any feedback in the comments section of the site.

Thanks.

cp4eva, Davidov, Sloth and 2 others like this.
  2. bogdan

bogdan New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Bucharest, RO
    The site seems to have some problems atm.

Tornado likes this.
  3. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I did notice that. I thought it was because I was messing with my browser. :rolleyes:

It's probably just under maintenance and will be back to normal soon.

Edit: Seems fine now.

frogboy likes this.
  4. bogdan

bogdan New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Bucharest, RO
    Nice guide. Although you might want to mention that Comodo Geek Budy is optional and what the New Private Network Detected pop-up means.
    The auto-sandbox might prevent some legit apps from running (still) so you might want to mention Defense+ -> Unrecognized Files. From that window users can submit files to comodo for analysis or treat them as Blocked/Trusted. Although this fits more in a "How to use" article.

One thing I don't agree with is disabling UAC in Win7. Even more disabling it completely.
    • It turns off protected mode in IE
    • It disables file/registry virtualization. In some (rare) cases users might loose the settings for apps that run only as admin. (Since Windows previously redirected settings stored in registry from HKLM\Software to HKCU\Software or settings files from Program Files to Users folder.)
    I think it would be as easy to download TweakUAC and set it to "Switch UAC to quiet mode". This will disable the elevation prompts under the default account (running in admin approval mode) without the 2 disadvantages mentioned above.
    If there are other accounts running as standard user they won't be affected.

Anyway, I am used to being the only one seeing a benefit in running as a standard user and UAC :)

frogboy likes this.
  5. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I've updated the article.

Let me know what you think.

6. MetalShaun

MetalShaun New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Devon
    Very good article, maybe you could also mention that you can use the free trial of Geekbuddy to clean your computer and install Comodo rather than using hitman pro.

7. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Comodo Internet Security version 6.0 was just released on the Comodo forums:
    http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/comodo-internet-security-2013-v-602607392674-released-t89185.0.html

However, please do be aware that this new version will probably not be pushed as an automatic update to the previous version for a few weeks.

I've therefore updated this article for the new version. Please let me know what you think of it.

8. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Guest

Nice article Chiron thanks for your time and effort.

9. Plexx

Plexx Guest

Thanks for the update Chiron. Do you still happen to have the original guide for 5.8/5.10?

Reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is interested in Comodo and asked for a guide. He is on 5.12 as he is using Windows 8.

Thanks,

10. cptredsox

cptredsox New Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Working in a Sleep Lab
    Freiburg
    Anyone a few tips to set up CFW for max protection ? with HIPS and BB on ? ..

11. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Somewhere west of the Mississippi
    #11 Gnosis, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    I can tell you this: keep HIPS on safe mode or untrusted; pop-ups allowed. If you put it on heightened alert it will drive you nuts. The only flaw I have seen in CIS is that I was ignored often when I attempted to whitelist when HIPS was freaking out.

I think I used to keep the BB and auto-sandbox on "untrusted" and allow the BB to notify you with pop-ups. If you prevent notification via pop-up, then you are forced to allow all, or disallow all, if I remember right, and neither one of those are acceptable, in my opinion. You can play around with it a bit. It won't bite.

nimd4 likes this.
  12. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Somewhere west of the Mississippi
    I opted out of GEEK BUDDY, Killswitch, and Dragon. At least two of those can be axed during the installation process. Keep Killswitch if you need a process viewer/boss. Their virtualization feature is pretty cool.

TheSuperGeek and nimd4 like this.
  13. TheSuperGeek

TheSuperGeek Guest

Thanks for the guide !

14. Sloth

Sloth New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Great guide. Helped a lot. Thank you very much.

15. uninfected1

uninfected1 Level 7

Jan 28, 2016
    Alpha Centauri
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    i'd been happily using Comodo firewall for about 4 years but clean installs of new versions were long and problematic until eventually v8 would not install (security agent would not start). I did raise this on the Comodo forums a while ago but noone could help, so any help here would be very appreciated.

16. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I hate bringing a thread from 2011 back to life, but I didn't know where else to put this...
    The "block all" toggle option for me is broken in glasswire in short i am getting a refund.
    Has something to do with x64 systems I suspect, but is not a new issue to galsswire according to their support staff and threads.
    I need another option and am going to DL Comodo Firewall to add to my config.
    Is there someone that has, or can post the updated install and config instructions here on MT and link me to them ?
    Preferably from someone that has used Comodo FW and is familiar with it in the year 2016 :)
    Thanks for your help.
    PeAcE
    EDIT, I will chk back here in a bit, because I am downloading the firewall right now under data restriction.

Logethica likes this.
  17. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    UK
    Windows 10
    _CyberGhosT_ and frogboy like this.
  18. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I will check it out once they lift my data restriction later in the evening, I dont usually run out but the DL of the AU put me over.
    I hope this firewall is a solid one, as I will only be running Voodoo and WAR as main protection, a lot of members here trust it so
    I will give it a try.
    Thank You @Logethica

Logethica likes this.
  19. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Logethica and _CyberGhosT_ like this.
  20. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Thanks Umbra buddy, the site is soo big my search for "Comodo Firewall" listed a large amount of results.
    Good chance I missed that one lol. I will bookmark it for later access.

Logethica likes this.