Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you require VirtualBox for that Sandboxie cannot provide you?

Reactions: Kent

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Signature is no longer a priority, what matters most today is a good proactive defense.

I have over 50 malwares that I sent to Comodo not detected yet, and if I run all in my system with my setup (same as cruelsister), I will not be infected and no data will be stolen.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Maybe you could tell us why you changed from Avast in the first place? If you changed because of the pop ups then comodo won't be any better, there would be plenty of prompt when you use it and you kinda have to understand everyone of them to make sure the programme you are using doesn't break. Also some programmes won't work right if you sandbox them so that is something to take note of too.

However there are a lot of pros to this set up, one being the rules set to sandbox unknown programmes and stuff.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I was using Comodo AV for 4 months and never got infected.
I set up CAV the way many members suggested and with HIPS on and didn't face any problem except
that my browsing was a bit slower but nothing to serious.
In my opinion HIPS is a good lesson to learn more about security;)
Now you will ask me why i uninstalled it.
Because i won the Emsisoft giveaway here in MT:)
I hope i have helped

Y

yigido

Thread author
I was using Comodo AV for 4 months and never got infected.
I set up CAV the way many members suggested and with HIPS on and didn't face any problem except
that my browsing was a bit slower but nothing to serious.
In my opinion HIPS is a good lesson to learn more about security;)
Now you will ask me why i uninstalled it.
Because i won the Emsisoft giveaway here in MT:)
I hope i have helped
You can use Emsisoft AntiMalware alongside Comodo Firewall or CIS. Becuase Emsisoft is a companion product ;)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There is much that can be argued about the usefulness of an AV and/or HIPS modules as an intrinsic part of any security solution. But with a superb virtualization module Comodo obviates the need for such "protection".

tomorrow I'll be posting a video demonstrating this.

Toni- Criminals just love people who feel Windows Firewall is enough. staying with WF alone is a really bad idea.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
If you're referring to version 8, It's okay. The sandbox component should prevent unusual system modifications (firewall modifications, for example) or unusual automated user input (disallow quarantine procedure, for example) compared to past versions. It's getting better with each version.
'File source tracking' might cause some trouble. It should be treated as experimental feature from my point of view. 'Viruscope' is not ready either to handle most situations.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Freezing my pc at startup no problems with Comodo.

I personally think Comodo has the fastest and smoothest BOOT-UP TIME of the good AV's :) No pauses like Avast or Panda's 10 second welcome desktop screen stall-out. Or AVG's long load on the Windows boot screen.

With Comodo there's no need to create or use an email account either, which is a plus! Not many free versions run without registration.

Avast pop ups I never had any, but two in months of use, ... I only get block or allow an app pop-up for safety.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I would not depend upon Comodo AV for anything but malware older than 4 weeks...

I gather Comodo's approach is that an AV and malicious web/content filtering are auxiliary layers of protection since the sandbox will "handle" whatever is downloaded and run on the user's system.

I disagree due to a few important facts...

Virtualization is good, but only a partial solution since data can still be stolen. Furthermore, the sandbox doesn't tell the user that a soft is behaving maliciously (nor does HIPS for unknowledgeable\inexperienced user). Although, to Comodo's credit, a significant amount of malwares will not run in the sandbox.

To me, for the typical user, it is better to prevent malware from getting onto the system in the first place; the AV and web protections should be equivalent to, if not stronger than, the sandbox module in terms of quality of protection.

All this is debatable...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Totally true- that's why CF has a Firewall setting to prevent sandboxed files from accessing the network.

Yeah, I know... and you know, but typical Comodo user does not know. In other words, typical user will launch Unrecognized programs in sandbox and think they are protected - absolutely. I didn't point that out in my post - so I'm glad you did @cruelsister.

Virtually impossible problem for AV vendors to solve when typical user has expectation that a security soft will protect their system absolutely "straight-out-of-the-box" and moreover, they will not be required to learn anything nor be required to make any decisions. They expect Sky Net...

Don't misinterpret what I am saying... I think, overall, Comodo is likely the best protection package to be had - when configured properly. Sure, it's got "stuff" that isn't perfect - but what security soft is perfect?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I say no, and I agree with Nico@FMA. In-terms-of free protection, I really do not believe it offers substantial protection, especially against todays' emerging threats. I suppose each to their own, I certainly would 'never' trust Comodo to protect my system.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I say no, and I agree with Nico@FMA. In-terms-of free protection, I really do not believe it offers substantial protection, especially against todays' emerging threats. I suppose each to their own, I certainly would 'never' trust Comodo to protect my system.

At one time I thought Comodo was complete nonsense at best and garbage at worst. I was wrong... the problem was me = I didn't know how to configure it. It took a while to learn. Now I realize as a single package there isn't anything equivalent.

I test it all the time against Malware Hub samples. Nothing has gotten past it except for a single Zbot variant... which also smashed Kaspersky, Emsisoft, and ESET.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Toni- Criminals just love people who feel Windows Firewall is enough. staying with WF alone is a really bad idea.

What about if the Router-Modem connected to Ethernet has its own Firewall, WF alone can still leaving security holes?

I read in article that if one has a router with a firewall, then adding a personal firewall is not needed.

I had trouble making the settings work on CF as you might remember helping me out, so I went with Avast on "Hardened Mode".

H

hjlbx

Thread author
What about if the Router-Modem connected to Ethernet has its own Firewall, WF alone can still leaving security holes?

I read in article that if one has a router with a firewall, then adding a personal firewall is not needed.

I had trouble making the settings work on CF as you might remember helping me out, so I went with Avast on "Hardened Mode".

That has more to do with exposed ports\port detection\inbound penetration by others.

If your system sits behind a NAT router you have to set up port-forwarding for any firewall - not just Comodo's - to fully manage ports via the firewall.

My system is behind NAT router - but I do not bother with port forwarding. Anyone attempting to locate ports on my system will find nothing but the router instead.

Without infos it is difficult to say what was happening at the time between CF and your router...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.