Is Comodo's Antivirus / Firewall underrated?

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
All the threads on the Comodo forum have had little activity in a while. Makes you wonder if Comodo is turning its focus away from individual software and more towards its business and enterprise. Something is going on over there.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Speaking of which, how do you download just the firewall, it's getting harder to find the products on the main site lately.

I always use browser search engine first before going to some of these big AV vendor sites. It seems like they hide various products.

/facepalm Thanks :)

It happens to the best of us. Comodo's site is not the easiest to navigate if you don't know it.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I feel comodo software development is capricious. Often, new software that has been released is left unupdated. In addition, software that has been left for a long time like a dragon may start updating again.
I think both cis and cfw are rare examples that have continued for a long time. However, the actual situation feels like a minor update from around ver.4.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It's over-rated for a modern Windows OS.

I concur.

It's not underrated. Until recently here at MT, it was overrated.

Granted, Cruelsis did develop a set of protocols that made mediocre software pretty secure.

But at its base --- it's mediocre.

Cruelsis whipped up a frenzy around here with Cruel-Comodo. I got sucked in and finally tried it. Yeah, the protection was good. But again, the software itself is not great. Updates got borked.. it's just not world-class software.

Cruelsis also got a bunch of people around here to buy WinPatrol WAR.... which is/was garbage software. She was very smart, but also fallible... just like the rest of us.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I still believe in Comodo, if I think it is a program not suitable for those who do not know it.
Regarding the CS configuration, it is a good configuration with hardly any impact on the system.
@Burrito, I'm glad to see you again.:emoji_beer:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I do think the default security level should be more like CS's settings with a strict default deny of unknowns. That at the default firewall protection to block unknowns outbound by default and filter IPv6 traffic. Switching to CS settings resolves that I just find it annoying that I have to create IPv6 rules for it to work and that firewall logging isn't enabled by default.

I may go back to CIS when the latest beta goes stable. Tested it the other day without issue though I can't see myself using ISE, I've only ever seen it work with explorer, I don't use CShopping as I just virtualize the browser and my ISP doesn't allow DNS changes so not a lot of point using CD and yahoo search. (EDIT: CD is a good product and maybe I could do DNS over http here and or just disable it in the browser itself and change the search engine if I wanted to).

Anyway, waiting to see what the future holds at the moment.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I concur. It's not underrated. Until recently here at MT, it was overrated.
Extremely overrated.

Granted, Cruelsis did develop a set of protocols that made mediocre software pretty secure.
But at its base --- it's mediocre.
Exact. Comodo was never made to be used at default setting, in fact the only REAL secure setting is setting the HIPS at Paranoid ,if not you let several holes opened. Two of them were heavily discussed here; if i recall well, one involved the overrated sandbox, the other, its Cloud.

Cruelsis whipped up a frenzy around here with Cruel-Comodo. I got sucked in and finally tried it.
Overrated setting, to me discarding the HIPS component in facor of the Sandbox is like not using Comodo for what it is and worth, so better use something else. I rather use a real sandbox then.

Yeah, the protection was good. But again, the software itself is not great. Updates got borked.. it's just not world-class software.
Never was, just a geek toy, i thought i was the only one here saying what crap it became, and my words are from an ex-fan who could handle it from toe to the top.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The various ratings for comodo may be close to those for classic cars. What was excellent at that time was not necessarily excellent even now. Some people praise and worship the past with excellent results, while others see it with a cold eye if it is inferior from the current point of view.

Currently, comodo is supported by those who have strong expectations for the “stable next version” .It might be like the horizon.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Everyone has their point of view in any program, and it is respectable, well I do not marry any program because I receive no compensation from any of them.
But, I invite the HUB testers, to test Comodo to see how it goes right now, and if they can with the Sister configuration, to clear up doubts, Thank you.:)

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I used Comodo for a dozen years or so and never had a problem until a couple of months ago, not long after my Aug post in this thread. Then, an upgrade (don't remember the number) totally screwed up my laptop. Fortunately I had a backup (God bless Macrium Reflect) and fixed the mess. I tried a second time with the same results. After the second download and same mess, I uninstalled with Revo and now use Hard Configurator with ConfigureDefender and Firewall Hardener, and my computer is running well and faster than with Comodo.

Where software is concerned, I don't give 3rd chances. It works for me, or it's gone. Comodo is gone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.