Is Comodo's Antivirus / Firewall underrated?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The various ratings for comodo may be close to those for classic cars. What was excellent at that time was not necessarily excellent even now. Some people praise and worship the past with excellent results, while others see it with a cold eye if it is inferior from the current point of view.

Currently, comodo is supported by those who have strong expectations for the “stable next version” .It might be like the horizon.
You nailed it, I don't live in the past or with hopes as well, security is a thing that must be efficient today, not yesterday, not tomorrow. Malware writers don't wait the next Windows hole, they attack what they find now.
Im not some kind of fool living today with the memory and expectations of the past like some do with Sandboxie, Malwarebytes or else. I don't have a second thought ditching my favorite soft the second it does not suit my requirements anymore. I did with Comodo, Malwarebytes, Sandboxie, and few others long time ago.

I used Comodo for a dozen years or so and never had a problem until a couple of months ago, not long after my Aug post in this thread. Then, an upgrade (don't remember the number) totally screwed up my laptop. Fortunately I had a backup (God bless Macrium Reflect) and fixed the mess. I tried a second time with the same results. After the second download and same mess, I uninstalled with Revo and now use Hard Configurator with ConfigureDefender and Firewall Hardener, and my computer is running well and faster than with Comodo.

Where software is concerned, I don't give 3rd chances. It works for me, or it's gone. Comodo is gone.
This is the right behavior, and about Comodo, you see why many hardcore users like me ditched it. And what you experienced is just the tip of the iceberg.
When you find a serious issue, notify the devs, and they dismiss/ignore it or even admit they can't fix it, it is time to leave...

And yes Macrium or any backup/imaging softs are worth 10 security softs, I can live without a security soft, not without a backup one. Even Windows Backup is worth the use, MS wanted ditch it, im glad they didn't, it works flawlessly on my end.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I've been using Comodo Firewall at CS settings plus HIPS for the last two years. I have the latest stable version of Windows on my computer. My experience: Comodo is running mostlly bug free when combined with Windows Defender. With everything else, you're looking for trouble. I added Configure Defender ( high profile) 6 months ago and my setup is still bug free.
I have a notebook near my computer and I always write down everything I do on that device. So it's easy for me to pinpoint an issue and, possiblly, correct it. And I don't test software on that computer. Yesterday, I tried to install a new version of Peazip and couldn't. So i just put Comodo in training mode and was able to install Peazip. I don't run Comodo on my friends computers.

Last edited:

mellowtones242

Level 2
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
now perhaps if comodo will focus on one product and not 10 different ones at a time they will get back to what they can be

I believe that is their plan but I don't know how much confidence I have in the management team. They have struggled with the MSP side of things which seems to be spilling over into other areas but there is a great amount of potential and opportunity to turn things around.

mellowtones242

Level 2
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
With Comodo the problem is they have plenty of great ideas but they never manage to make it done and if they do they have this tendencies of messing it all.

This is correct, there is a flaw in their process and management system, they need to plug the holes tighten up. Like you said great ideas but the follow-through is a hit and miss.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I've been using Comodo Firewall at CS settings plus HIPS for the last two years. I have the latest stable version of Windows on my computer. My experience: Comodo is running mostlly bug free when combined with Windows Defender. With everything else, you're looking for trouble. I added Configure Defender ( high profile) 6 months ago and my setup is still bug free.
I have a notebook near my computer and I always write down everything I do on that device. So it's easy for me to pinpoint an issue and, possiblly, correct it. And I don't test software on that computer. Yesterday, I tried to install a new version of Peazip and couldn't. So i just put Comodo in training mode and was able to install Peazip. I don't run Comodo on my friends computers.
I also use it in combination with comodo and WD. And it works fine. About bugs. I think that it is something that cannot be known unless it is thoroughly used. I felt that the word “geek toy” said by @Umbra was an expression of it.
People who use automobiles as everyday tools are satisfied just by moving properly. However, car geeks care about the suspension and steering wheel behavior while driving.

And yes Macrium or any backup/imaging softs are worth 10 security softs, I can live without a security soft, not without a backup one. Even Windows Backup is worth the use, MS wanted ditch it, im glad they didn't, it works flawlessly on my end.
Agree. In situations where the attacker is one step ahead, I think it is effective to consider how to recover after being damaged.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo feels like a transmission without a clutch. The gears just grind against each other when there is anything to do with the program. Due to underdevelopment of the platform it boils down to limiting the rights of "unrecognized", "unsigned", or "improperly signed" software. HIPs could be used to protect files, but good luck getting that to work as desired. The log could be customizable and still detail all activity, yet it is clumsy and who knows what is being recorded and not recorded. The log with capture events happening every two seconds, and grind the entire system to a halt recording the events. Then there will be no evidence of the malware attempt, etc.

In the concept is somewhere an awesome finished product that I know Comodo will complete. But this company just cannot escape the drama of dragging out improvement over eons rather than months as with the others. The beautiful program will arrive and be free, so it will be worth the wait. Until then, bind it to a great a-v and use it as cruelsister to capture malware and then to control internet access for applications.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.