Question Is Cyberlock (Always ON) considered bullet-proof against sophisticated malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
I dare to disagree with above eminences ;)

SRP is a build-in mechanism which hardly cost processing power. Windows does not need scripts to run for updates in user folders. I can;t see why average users need scripts to run in user folders. Most of CruelSister's made malware is started through risky file extensions. Plenty of reasons to use Andy's SWH as companion to block risky file extensions in user folders. The weak point of SRP is that this security mechanism itself also lives in userland.

Windows Defender on MAX has excellent embedded code protection for mail and office documents. Windows Defender on Max uses less CPU than WD on High or High+ and acts as a cloud whitelist for executable's. The weak point of (the very strong cloud whitelist) is that it is a huge and massive whitelist (a smaller whitelist is a more secure whitelist) and it has a very limited (only the ASR part) parent-child process monitor to deal with staged attacks.

Microsoft offers WDAC and Smart Application Control on top of these Windows mechanism to overcome the weaknesses mentioned. I look at CyberLock as a more granular and flexible WDAC or SAC and it remembers your decisions (in contrast to UAC). So why would SWH and WD-max be an overkill with CL, when CyberLock functions an improved (AI based) UAC/SAC?

The best reason to choose CL over SAC is that CL is backed by a developer who reacts rapidly on user issues (try that with M$ when SAC blocks your el cheapo unsigned restaurant menu designer).

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The best reason to choose CL over SAC is that CL is backed by a developer who reacts rapidly on user issues (try that with M$ when SAC blocks your el cheapo unsigned menu designer, that is the reason I have turned of SAC).
:LOL: Completely agree on this. SAC is mostly for the very rare breed of Windows user, like myself, who has very few apps installed on my surfing laptop. Although @SpyNetGirl is an opposite case. She probably has all kinds of legit apps since she's a coder and an MS geek. ;)

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
@oldschool: I think SAC is a great extra-security tool. It works great on more or less 'common' installs. In real life SAC works fine for most home users also, but MT is populated with people playing with (security) software. People like you using a simple but very secure and effective security setup are rare here :) (y)

I rather would have had SAC to be the auto-elevation decision mechanism of UAC. My unsigned application to make menu's for the restaurant I am working as a cook, does not need elevation, it installs in userland. When SAC automatically decides to allow UAC elevation, people using portable applications also would not be harassed by SAC blocks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.