Is CyRadar's "Internet Security Check Tool" scareware?

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
It seems it leans in that direction to me. Click the "get a quick assessment".

They are listed in virustotal (another grand site that google has worked hard to wreck by including sketchy companies)

They will apparently scan your system, and report the results in 3 categories. 1) malware prevention 2) web protection 3) web filtering
I scored 3 failed out of 10. yet, they didn't direct me to any sites to evaluate my web filtering or protection? I never left their site. so how the heck can they evaluate that?

and it says 3 failed under malware protection. one test apparently was a zip file. yet, the test didn't download any zip file onto my system for my antivirus to evaluate. soooooo????

I could go on, but it all seems pretty sketchy. I can't see how they evaluated my system without directing me to sites, and without downloading zips files. do they present a website to my computer with a link to the zip and other malicious sites, and are seeing if my antivirus is following those links (without me clicking them)? dunno. input?

Lastly, then after the test, and within the summary, they give me the option to "receive advice from experts". this seems to be a paid service. so they fake alarm me that my system security sucks, then they try to sell me a remedy? and google endorses them, lol.

Am I reading this right? let me know your thoughts.

summary.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

udhaya_k

Dec 20, 2019
It seems it leans in that direction to me. Click the "get a quick assessment".

They are listed in virustotal (another grand site that google has worked hard to wreck by including sketchy companies)

They will apparently scan your system, and report the results in 3 categories. 1) malware prevention 2) web protection 3) web filtering
I scored 3 failed out of 10. yet, they didn't direct me to any sites to evaluate my web filtering or protection? I never left their site. so how the heck can they evaluate that?

and it says 3 failed under malware protection. one test apparently was a zip file. yet, the test didn't download any zip file onto my system for my antivirus to evaluate. soooooo????

I could go on, but it all seems pretty sketchy. I can't see how they evaluated my system without directing me to sites, and without downloading zips files. do they present a website to my computer with a link to the zip and other malicious sites, and are seeing if my antivirus is following those links (without me clicking them)? dunno. input?

Lastly, then after the test, and within the summary, they give me the option to "receive advice from experts". this seems to be a paid service. so they fake alarm me that my system security sucks, then they try to sell me a remedy? and google endorses them, lol.

Am I reading this right? let me know your thoughts.

View attachment 216951
They even don't have false positive submission place. I confirm your opinion.

Reactions: ChoiceVoice

gnitfrid

Feb 20, 2024
Same game as rating agencies, absolute position of power.
If they rate a country poorly, it is dead.
The same applies to your company or your software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.