Battle Is Google Chrome Browser That Good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I am thinking of downloading Google Chrome. I would like user input before I do. It says it protects you from Malware/Phishing/Drive by downloads etc.... How really good is it at this & have you ever been saved from this stuff or is it just hype? Have you ever been infected by using this Browser? Thanks! marg

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
It uses google malware & phishing protection, it will block urls only if it's in database. I tried opera next & yandex they both are same as blocking malware urls as chrome, probably they also using Google phishing & malware protection. And yes u can be infected using chrome if u not apply safe browsing habit in yourself. Don't depend on anything that they wil protect u always. Take precaution always when u download/surf or do chatting . Plus it's better if u use some free URL protection like Avira browser safety, k9 with tweak settings with a adblocker to block malicious ads & pop ups. Plus u can try sandboxie too if u r too sensitive about ur browsing habit or want to add a extra layer of protection.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'd say that's false. While it's nowhere near dedicated phish/malware filters and AVs, it uses Google Safebrowsing, which blocks plenty of malicious/scam pages and you can also report undetected ones to them.
ESET blocks alot for me so I don't know if chrome does anything while that is turned on.

Reactions: marg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Chrome (not to be confused with chromium) has started blocking downloads much more aggresively than before, also don't forget it has the lowest number of security vulnerabilities compared with ie and firefox.
It does use a lot of memory but you can dramatically reduce that by choosing add ons that have a light memory footprint, such as admuncher over adblock plus for example.

I'd say chrome was also more stable than firefox too. Be aware that using internet explorer there is always a risk that websites will break or not display correctly. This is because internet explorer doesn't implement the web standards correctly (and never has done, ask any web designer it's a pain!), so i personally never use it for that reason and many others.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Chrome (not to be confused with chromium) has started blocking downloads much more aggresively than before, also don't forget it has the lowest number of security vulnerabilities compared with ie and firefox.
It does use a lot of memory but you can dramatically reduce that by choosing add ons that have a light memory footprint, such as admuncher over adblock plus for example.

I'd say chrome was also more stable than firefox too. Be aware that using internet explorer there is always a risk that websites will break or not display correctly. This is because internet explorer doesn't implement the web standards correctly (and never has done, ask any web designer it's a pain!), so i personally never use it for that reason and many others.
Does IE smart screen/enhanced protection mode is effective? thnx

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Does IE smart screen/enhanced protection mode is effective? thnx
Smart screen is good for detecting phishing urls etc but only when they are already known. Enhanced protection mode will protect you to a limited degree, but obviously, it won't protect you from built in flaws in the ie engine which continue to be exploited. Perhaps someone can comment with more detail :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chrome really doesn't block anything at all

I totally disagree.

Google's SafeBrowsing is one of the most effective at blocking malicious and phishing sites, from my experience.

upload_2014-6-29_19-38-2.png

Malware and Phishing protection is enabled by default. It also blocks known malicious download, similar to SmartScreen Filter in IE.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
It uses google malware & phishing protection, it will block urls only if it's in database. I tried opera next & yandex they both are same as blocking malware urls as chrome, probably they also using Google phishing & malware protection. And yes u can be infected using chrome if u not apply safe browsing habit in yourself. Don't depend on anything that they wil protect u always. Take precaution always when u download/surf or do chatting . Plus it's better if u use some free URL protection like Avira browser safety, k9 with tweak settings with a adblocker to block malicious ads & pop ups. Plus u can try sandboxie too if u r too sensitive about ur browsing habit or want to add a extra layer of protection.

+1 to this

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Well, upon immediate reflection after having read everything from everyone else whom I feel are more knowledgeable then myself,:rolleyes: for some mysterious reason I now feel smarter and even a wee bit taller than I did before Marg began gathering sage accounts of my current favorite browser, Chrome!;):D Although I am a member whom revels in changing browsers in equally frequency to changing pairs of shoes & pants, likewise it is essentially a matter of comfort (..and safe support). marg, I am enjoying Chrome along side Opera next. Both are equipped with minimal extensions Adguard, Adblock, & HTTP Switchboard, intermittently (1 or the other at a time..as I now think over Cowpipe's Admuncher comment:rolleyes:) ScriptBlock & LastPass. I like what was said about Chrome, and my personal choice is it's portable version which must be updated manually over the previous.:) Why not try them o_Oboth?;) They're both excellent!:)

Reactions: XhenEd and Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.