Advice Request Is it easier for .zip and .rar files to get corrupted, Should I keep important files uncompressed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
zip/rar wont corrupt easier than any other filetype i guess, except obviously if you have 100 separate for example photos and 1 gets corrupt youve lost 1 photo
if you had all those 100 photos in 1 zip, and that zip somehow became corrupt, then yes thats lost

you could create recovery files using something like quickPar QuickPar for Windows which creates parity / recovery to protect against corruption etc.
(winrar has the option for inbuilt recovery i belive)

as long as you have healthy hard drives, and dont suffer frequent power outages and perform regular backups of these files, youll be fine.

Last edited:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Even if an archived file gets corrupted then also one can get back most of the files.
Also, like any other files these files also cannot just get corrupted on their own unless the the media they are in gets corrupted or there is some kind of problem during their transmission.
I personally have a few this kind of files for quite a long time and I have moved them from one place to another several time, and they are still okay.

Reactions: kC77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.