Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Or is Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 a resource hog? It literally takes up all of my computer's processing memory (My computer kinda sucks)! Is it just me, or has it always been like this? Can anyone suggest a lightweight security solution?

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Not commenting on Kaspersky's performance. Haven't used it, also that is a horse that has been flogged repeatedly around here.

From a performance/protection perspective I can recommend something like ESET Smart Security, Norton Internet Security or Comodo Internet Security. I also hear good things about Emsisoft AntiMalware, but I haven't tried it myself.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
iPanik said:
Not commenting on Kaspersky's performance. Haven't used it, also that is a horse that has been flogged repeatedly around here.

From a performance/protection perspective I can recommend something like ESET Smart Security, Norton Internet Security or Comodo Internet Security. I also hear good things about Emsisoft AntiMalware, but I haven't tried it myself.

Hm.. Emsisoft? I hear it has VERY good protection, but performance?

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, and have no slow downs. Have you uninstalled your previous AV using their Removal Tool?

Also, did you have Kaspersky 2011 installed previously and installed v2012 over the top? if so, uninstall, reboot and reinstall v2012

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I didn't felt any slow downs while using KIS 2012 however I've read other comments in the past that suggested that this product can be a resource hog on some systems.
Did you change any settings in KIS 2012? Did you run a full scan with KIS 2012?
In Scan Settings, you can uncheck both Perform Idle Scan and Perform Regular Rootkit Scans , as this tend to run while you're on at the computer and slow very much the system!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I was looking at your config. http://malwaretips.com/Thread-gbpackerfan-s-config-1-28-2012?pid=25836#pid25836

Are you running Malwarebytes PRO real-time protection along side? I will forget you list Panda Cloud PRO as you are now using Kaspersky.

"Can anyone suggest a lightweight security solution?"

Panda Cloud (12K), Norton (8K), Comodo (13K), VIPRE (22K) *based on my own findings in VMware. ... Kaspersky (88K)

I've never actually installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 on my host PC and used it for a long period of time to see how it's resource usage was beside in a VM.

Z

ZeroDay

I find Kaspersky IS 2012 to be much lighter than previous versions.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
MrXidus said:
I was looking at your config. http://malwaretips.com/Thread-gbpackerfan-s-config-1-28-2012?pid=25836#pid25836

Are you running Malwarebytes PRO real-time protection along side? I will forget you list Panda Cloud PRO as you are now using Kaspersky.

"Can anyone suggest a lightweight security solution?"

Panda Cloud (12K), Norton (8K), Comodo (13K), VIPRE (22K) *based on my own findings in VMware. ... Kaspersky (88K)

I've never actually installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 on my host PC and used it for a long period of time to see how it's resource usage was beside in a VM.

Well, haha, I was using Kaspersky, and you were right! I was using Malwarebytes PRO along side... Seems like my computer can't take that much :( However, that's why I switched to Panda Cloud for a much lighter anti-virus.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you still want to use Kaspersky engine, you might want to try ZoneAlam Security Suite.
I haven't tried the latest versions of either product but in the past ZoneAlarm was much lighter than Kaspersky.

It uses an older version of Kaspersky engine but uses current signatures from Kaspersky.

Jack did a pretty good review of it here.

Thanks.:D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
It uses an older version of Kaspersky engine but uses current signatures from Kaspersky.

If it uses an older version of Kaspersky engine does that mean it may have a weaker detection rate?

I

illumination

I was running KIS 2012 on my machine and found it to be a little heavy at first, but after finding that upon installation,KIS does not disable Windows Defender, i disabled it, and after this point, KIS was light on my system and ran just fine..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Littlebits said:

If it uses an older version of Kaspersky engine does that mean it may have a weaker detection rate?

Explain your definition of detection rate, it uses the same signatures as Kaspersky, I'm sure it has the heuristics, but other features of the new engine could have better behavior IDS protection.

ZoneAlam uses its own IDS and firewall technology it only uses KAV AV engine and cloud technology.

I would say the protection is about the same, but ZoneAlarm is lighter.

Thanks.:D

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
KIS 2012 is definitely lighter than previous versions and has been running pretty good for me - any system sluggishness I may have experienced initially was no longer an issue after I deselected Perform Idle Scan. The only tell-tale signs of KIS being hard at work are the Application Control check of changed executables taking a few seconds longer than I would have liked.

gbpackerfan said:
Hm.. Emsisoft? I hear it has VERY good protection, but performance?

EAM used to be heavy on resources, but both real-time and scan speed performances have been drastically optimized in v6.0. I think it is in Norton, avast and a few other lightweight products category, at least that's my experience with it. To me, it is one of the most improved products of 2011, shame about their relative obscurity.

Another good point about EAM is its compatibility - you can run it alongside other security solutions [set the File Guard as an anti-executable and add the relevant real-time exclusions to minimize impact]. The other consideration would be the need for a good firewall/HIPS with EAM, unlike KIS [and its very good Application Control].

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.