Is it safe to use AdGuard on Tor Browser?

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Ubuntu and Adguard extension with tor , ho by I see issues coming .
Adguard extension dose not native support Ubuntu -deb , and the Tor browser for Ubuntu is different from Tor for windows, the Adguard forum has topics on issues with Adguard extension + Ubuntu add tor in the mix , could be fun ..

Reactions: Weebarra

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Ubuntu and Adguard extension with tor , ho by I see issues coming .
Adguard extension dose not native support Ubuntu -deb , and the Tor browser for Ubuntu is different from Tor for windows, the Adguard forum has topics on issues with Adguard extension + Ubuntu add tor in the mix , could be fun ..
Something else that you could do, you could consider using adguard's dns servers for blocking ads. That what I do.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
However, the Tor browser doesn't block ads, only scripts. Would it be safe to use AdGuard?
I'm using the Tor Browser on a daily basis. That's right. Tor Browser doesn't block all ads for example the Youtube ads. I fixed that with installing uBlock. I run also Decentraleyes. It is a extension for loading scripts from the cache or so and not from the Google servers.

A thing to the their DNS servers: They're saying that they are removing logs but I'm feeling safer using DNS servers that are powered by me or that are build for privacy.

You should also deactivate HTTPS scanning in AdGuard. This is a no-go and AV developer + all developer should take the hands from it. That means also the disabling the HTTPS scanning in Kaspersky, Avast, Bitdefender because they're lowering your protection status. That's why Defender is in this much better.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Adguard desktop version,
adguard filtered apps Tor browser on the list filtered by default ,,,,,,

safe to use ,,,,,,

I would be using it on Ubuntu, meaning AdGuard system-wide is unavailable.
Something else that you could do, you could consider using adguard's dns servers for blocking ads. That what I do.

I heard it doesn't block ads on sites with SSL. Is this true?

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I heard it doesn't block ads on sites with SSL. Is this true?
I don't think that's right. AdGuard for the browser blocks domains. It does not matter if an encryption exists, because the extension is installed in the browser. Installed AdGuard must listen to the traffic to be able to block something. Maybe that's something like this (with enabled SSL scanning):
point-to-point_SSL5.png

It was once a scandal that AV-s replaced existing encryptions with their weaker encryptions. It looks so:
jExjC8I.png

With Bitdefender and SSL scanning:
hJpfTlU.png

You can see the key has changed and it isn't so good like the key above (without SSL scanning).

Reactions: Warrior

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.