Not open for further replies.

Azure

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I wanted to know what someone else thought.
I already changed Ccleaner setting to not clean the browser cache. But, should I let it?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you are concerned about your Privacy then cleaning your browser cache is a good idea.However this only kind of deletes these files unless you overwrite the free space nothing is really permanently deleted.As they can be recovered with certain utilities.If you clean it basically you are forcing the cache to start over from scratch until the cache is built up again.Other reasons to delete it would be problems loading web pages or the cache is corrupted.Cleaning it will not speed anything up.
I clean it on closing my browser for the day for privacy.

Last edited:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
There is a magical sweet spot of maximum efficiency for caches, as for most things. If you set your browser to delete your cache every time you quit, then closing your browser will be a little slower. And since building the cache took some time too, and then it's thrown away, it's just a waste of time. But if you leave it there longer, then when you reopen your browser, it will have less work, less downloading to do, and will be able to use cached components to speed things up. The sweet spot then starts becoming sour again when you have too much in your cache, because your browser will simply have too much data to process locally, which will end up taking more time than it saves; and then is the time to delete your cache to regain performance.

So, for example, doing it manually every day instead of every time you close the browser can be a good setting. Maybe weekly is better depending on how you browse. Or you can set a hard limit of a few megabytes and never worry about it again.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There is a magical sweet spot of maximum efficiency for caches, as for most things. If you set your browser to delete your cache every time you quit, then closing your browser will be a little slower. And since building the cache took some time too, and then it's thrown away, it's just a waste of time. But if you leave it there longer, then when you reopen your browser, it will have less work, less downloading to do, and will be able to use cached components to speed things up. The sweet spot then starts becoming sour again when you have too much in your cache, because your browser will simply have too much data to process locally, which will end up taking more time than it saves; and then is the time to delete your cache to regain performance.

So, for example, doing it manually every day instead of every time you close the browser can be a good setting. Maybe weekly is better depending on how you browse. Or you can set a hard limit of a few megabytes and never worry about it again.
I agree with daily cleaning of it which was what I essentially meant but didnt post it right :oops: the myths that it will speed up your browser are just that as it will actually slow it down until the cache is rebuilt especially sites with many images etc.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I agree with daily cleaning of it which was what I essentially meant but didnt post it right :oops: the myths that it will speed up your browser are just that as it will actually slow it down until the cache is rebuilt especially sites with many images etc.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your post. :) Yes, the cache is there to speed things up, so in a sense it should self-regulate but it doesn't always do that properly. Some browsers have no limit or very big limits, and a huge cache on a heavily fragmented disk can be bad even for the rest of the system.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, you can clear your browser cache, but not too often. Every fortnight or monthly, should do fine

If you have set CCleaner for secure wiping, it may be better to allow your own browser to clear the cache, as it vary from couple 100 MBs to GBs, depending on your browser habits (last cleaned) etc.

Reactions: Oxygen

Jimmy HendriX

Level 24
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2014
Yes, it is advisable that eventually the browser will be slowing down regularly

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Yes it is, if the browser is slow or you have some issues with loading pages you can clear it. I clean it from time to time (I don't wanna corrupted cache), my Wise Disk Cleaner does an amazing job at cleaning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.