Guide | How To Is Java Exploitable?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I totally forgot that Java existed, Haven't had Java installed for over half a year, Simply not a thing I require nor trust and if a website trys to push me into using Java because "It's Required", The website gets added to my hosts file and blocked. :sleepy:

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
bo.elam said:
madyrocksin said:
ok thanks will try uninstalling it and check :)
I think that's a very good idea. I ll tell you a little story. One of my brothers who lives in a different country, when he came to visit a few months ago, I uninstalled Java from his computer. He was a little worry about Facebook or programs not working in the computer so I placed a Java installer on the desktop and told him to run it if he ever got in a situation were he needed Java. He has not needed to do that yet.

It is safer to be without Java but if you find out that you need to have it for a program to work, then block it 100% of the time with NoScript. That way, when you are browsing, it will be as if its not installed.

Bo

Thank you I will do the same :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Added another link to the base of http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Is-Java-Exploitable?pid=70547#pid70547 (Zscaler Java Test)

sahilwaste

Apr 24, 2012
lol i never noticed i've java on my pc...

2dir9zc.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try this: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

It should tell you what version you're using. If you don't need Java, uninstall or disable the browser plugin.

sahilwaste said:
sorry, no idea. :huh:

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
madyrocksin said:
Mine is exploitable as well :/
But for this reason i use noscript, i guess it should help !!
Moreover i can't live without java, facebook,etc sites i visit daily :p
Facebook? Pffftttttt,in my opinion,social site is nothing more than heart-breaking-truth-about-the-people-that-you-loved -- Just sayin'

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why is it a good thing? All recent versions are exploitable. Good luck!

That's why Mozilla has added it to their add-on blocklist, here

Payback said:
Thank you,useful. Good thing I am using latest version ;P

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Earth said:
Why is it a good thing? All recent versions are exploitable. Good luck!

That's why Mozilla has added it to their add-on blocklist, here

Payback said:
Thank you,useful. Good thing I am using latest version ;P

You actually told the truth *slaps myself*

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Java is safer than it used to be, but if not needed, uninstall it or atleast disable it in your browsers

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Too many users confuse Java Runtime Environment with Java browser plugin.
The program language itself is usually not exploited, so you can run your install programs that require JRE without worries.
What you need to worry about is the Java browser plugins, they are exploited all the time and they are directly tied to JRE.

Once your Java browser plugin is exploited it then can use JRE to do a lot of nasty things to your system.

I use JRE to run several programs on my system but I have the browser plugins disabled therefore they can not be exploited.

EPld7p1.png

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: dvault

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.