Guide | How To Is Java Exploitable?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the great site Earth. Java is exploitable on my machine but I'm running it under EMET so that should be better. Are you using Java yourself? :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Myself, I do not have Java installed. I did however install an old version on IE8 to test the site and for the screenshot.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
Myself, I do not have Java installed. I did however install an old version on IE8 to test the site and for the screenshot.

same, if i website need java to be installed, i just avoid it.

I

illumination

Site does not work very well with Noscript engaged ;) I do not run Java on my machine at all, but this is a good place for those that do to see if they are exploitable!

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Mine is exploitable as well :/
But for this reason i use noscript, i guess it should help !!
Moreover i can't live without java, facebook,etc sites i visit daily :p

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I disabled mine
Java plugin was not detected. This indicates that either you don't have Java installed or it isn't enabled in this browser. This browser should be safe from drive-by exploitation via Java.

Wait for it>>>>>>>>>Mike, my games aren't working! grrrrrrrrrr<<<<<<<<<<the wife lmao

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
madyrocksin said:
Of course NoScript helps. Keep Java blocked all the time with NoScript and allow temporarily the sites where you need it.

I got nothing to worry about Java, I uninstalled it about 3 years ago.

Bo

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
bo.elam said:
madyrocksin said:
Of course NoScript helps. Keep Java blocked all the time with NoScript and allow temporarily the sites where you need it.

Bo

But how do you manage sites like facebook and all, or you don't use it ??

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can verify with the other link I provided.
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Overall a well presented site.
thumbsup.gif

bitbizket said:
LoL is this a scareware?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
madyrocksin said:
bo.elam said:
madyrocksin said:

Bo

I barely use those sites but you can either allow the site temporarily or whitelist the site. If it was me, I would allow them temporarily. A few days ago, I uninstalled Java from a friends computer who uses Facebook, he is not missing Java and is able to use Facebook just fine.

Bo

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I have the latest version of Java installed and I get the red message saying that java is exploitable. Does it only say you don't have it running and you don't have it turned off?

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Earth said:
You can verify with the other link I provided.
http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Overall a well presented site.
thumbsup.gif

bitbizket said:
LoL is this a scareware?

From a glance if you look at the banner it's really sounded like a scare tactic.
I've rarely came across a Java exploit and i would get them updated regularly if i ever have them. I don't Java installed but i do have flash. Anyway thanks for the link. :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bitbizket said:
LoL is this a scareware?

I believe so. No matter what version of Java you try, you get the exploitable message. So basically, the site is just telling you to uninstall Java.

madyrocksin said:

Don't get Java confused with Javascript. They are completely different things.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes.

My mistake, I forgot to post this bit. :blush: My apologies.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Disable-Java-NOW-users-told-as-0-day-exploit-hits-web

Malware Maniac said:
I have the latest version of Java installed and I get the red message saying that java is exploitable. Does it only say you don't have it running and you don't have it turned off?

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
bo.elam said:
madyrocksin said:
bo.elam said:
madyrocksin said:

Bo

I barely use those sites but you can either allow the site temporarily or whitelist the site. If it was me, I would allow them temporarily. A few days ago, I uninstalled Java from a friends computer who uses Facebook, he is not missing Java and is able to use Facebook just fine.

Bo

ok thanks will try uninstalling it and check :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
madyrocksin said:
ok thanks will try uninstalling it and check :)
I think that's a very good idea. I ll tell you a little story. One of my brothers who lives in a different country, when he came to visit a few months ago, I uninstalled Java from his computer. He was a little worry about Facebook or programs not working in the computer so I placed a Java installer on the desktop and told him to run it if he ever got in a situation were he needed Java. He has not needed to do that yet.

It is safer to be without Java but if you find out that you need to have it for a program to work, then block it 100% of the time with NoScript. That way, when you are browsing, it will be as if its not installed.

Bo

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The only reason I have Java installed on some of the machines in the house is because of my sister play's Minecraft, which is needed to play it, apart from that no one has it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.