Advice Request Is Kaspersky trustable?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hello :)

I`m consider to choose between Bitdefender Total and Kaspersky Total but i`m afraid to trust them. (K)
I came from central europe (Poland) and as you probably know that Russian gov don`t like us.

For privacy and over security of data which one will be safer choice?

Regards

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012

I`m consider to choose between Bitdefender Total and Kaspersky Total but i`m afraid to trust them. (K)
I came from central europe (Poland) and as you probably know that Russian gov don`t like us.

Regards
I would not worry about privacy with Kaspersky, It does offer very good security because of its application control and malware rollback, you can set it like a Anti.Exe almost like Comodo.

Last edited:

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I feel the same no trust issues but also just keep in mind that your computer's performance might slow down and the scans can take some time, for these reasons I have moved away from kaspersky but I still think is a good product and it has improved in the performance area over the years.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You posted the same question at Wilders:
I like the answer of @cruelsister :
Hi Konrad! I fully understand your reservations regarding the RSA, as I was posted in Poland for a number of years. However understand that if Kaspersky was ever directly implicated in harvesting sensitive user data it would be apparent as ALL the other AV vendors have already gone over and over the code in order to detect this, and would be just drooling to make it public.

So although one may be wary of K's cozy relationship with the FSB, there should be no great worry of a Home user having their identity compromised in any way.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Yes, Kaspersky is trustable.

It should be known that the accusations of spying are unfounded, Eugene Kaspersky had even made a video defending himself from being the "Trojan horse of the Russian state".
Just for the NSA, according to my research, an employee had the Kaspersky software installed on his PC. He uploaded unknown files on the KSN (behavior of any antivirus) that were malware coded by the NSA.
By the way, Kaspersky would have even detected a Trojan horse in a pirated copy of Microsoft Office... like that :D

Personally, I use Kaspersky, and I don't feel like I'm being watched, but then again, with all the things that are thrown at Google, Chinese companies and the rest..... :D

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
Just for the NSA, according to my research, an employee had the Kaspersky software installed on his PC. He uploaded unknown files on the KSN (behavior of any antivirus) that were malware coded by the NSA.
I think it is just how cloud protection works like in any other AV product. The exploit (likely in testing by NSA) installed in one of the govt employee PC being detected by heuristic or behavioral component then the malicious code (not only hashes, and not the whole file) was sent to KSN for faster detection, turns out it was NSA exploit or something like that.
I think in the past, Kaspersky (and pretty much other vendors) is more likely to upload stuff out of detection that are not included in the current database than currently now, it's likely that they used to be sending anything suspicious but not yet confident enough to mark it as infected on UI of their AV. It's a strategy to build strong protection through big data even faster, an arms race between security vendors.
Pretty much everything in the cybersecurity firm industry is more strict now. IMO, It was the NSA's fault for not making sure KSN is deactivated and they should know how it works. Starting from 2017, there's an option to get KPSN or basically, KSN with no item of data leaves out of the perimeter.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Regards

Hello, I think Kaspersky is out of politician affairs, and they are very trustable.

If you have concerns, just go to F-Secure Safe, it's a company from a very neutral country.

I am a Kaspersky user.

You can try this trick to have one year license free from F-Secure:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
These (still) unfounded claims did a lot of damage to Kaspersky's rep. It's worth mentioning there are numerous consumer watchdogs out there monitoring for stuff just like this. I am more paranoid about Windows Security sometimes--lol.

I think you make a nice purchase, KonradPL.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I posted some of my thoughts here: Q&A - Kaspersky and Cloud Privacy

I believe it’s trustworthy in that there’s no evidence of any sort of behavior not consistent with protecting your machines from malware. However, the privacy policy for the cloud protection component you agree to allows them to collect quite a bit of samples as well as information about what you are doing, if activity on your machine looks like malware. This is a huge part of why they have such great zero day and outbreak protection but if you are a NSA malware developer, you probably should not use Kaspersky :D

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
Yes, both are trustworthy. I see you've decided, but I really want to post it here after some time editing a little of this absolute mess:

My view regarding this "Should Kaspersky be trusted?" may contain unintended political issues, it's just from what I've read:
Kaspersky Lab has tons of major malware discoveries. Regarding this question whether they're trustworthy or not, note:
In 2010, Kaspersky Lab worked with Microsoft to counter-act the Stuxnet worm, which had infected 14 industrial locations in Iran using four zero-day vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. According to IEEE Spectrum, the circumstances "strongly suggest" the worm was developed by the United States and Israel to damage centrifuges in Iran's nuclear enrichment program.
In June 2015, Kaspersky reported that its own network had been infiltrated by government-sponsored malware. Evidence suggested the malware was created by the same developers as Duqu and Stuxnet, in order to get intelligence that would help them better avoid detection by Kaspersky in the future.
This source noting that:
“Kaspersky determined the best approach was to not only admit it had been hacked, but also to provide extensive information on the malware (dubbed Duqu 2.0) it found attempting to infiltrate information from its servers,” Cluley wrote in a blog post.
Kaspersky Lab revealed it detected a cyber intrusion affecting several of its internal systems in early spring 2015, using a prototype of an anti-APT (advanced persistent threat) technology.

I remembered this from other sources I've read in the past:
  • Kaspersky was hacked for 3 months until they tried out their anti-APT tech on their own system, looking for or learn about this kind of tech was one of the goals of the attacker. The attacker also probably tied to the 2010 Stuxnet worm discovery. Additionally, Stuxnet (according to this book) was one of the reasons behind the bans of Kaspersky in US govt systems.
  • Cyber security researchers and spokesperson from the various country even government officials still not convinced of allegations of Russian government ties.
  • The US government didn't respond to Kaspersky lab who tried to address the allegation also didn't respond to the source code investigation request.
Kaspersky did a lot of things to regain trust, one of them is the Global Transparency Initiative.
  • Third-party assessment of internal processes to verify the integrity of Kaspersky solutions and processes: SOC 2 audit by one of the Big Four accounting firms; ISO 27001 certification for data security systems.
  • Transparency center all around the world. Switzerland, Spain, Malaysia, and Brazil. Additionally, Kaspersky has relocated data storage and processing activities from Russia to Switzerland ("long and famous history of neutrality", "robust approach to data protection legislation").
  • They publish Law enforcement and government requests reports. Even though they can cooperate with their own Government or just help them, they can't just cooperate if there's nothing to give and the request wasn't meet legal verification requirements. Interestingly in the latest report, the most approved request is from South Korea, and the most rejected is from Russia (very low approval rate compared to others) | One of the requirements of the procedure: "their implementation should not affect the security or privacy of Kaspersky’s users or the integrity of Kaspersky’s products and services."
  • And many more...
Other things to consider:
GDPR, CCPA, Anti-Corruption Compliance Policy based on various laws around the world and other regulation-compliant just like what other companies do right?; Kaspersky (and other major vendors and organizations) are also members of AMTSO; Tons of independent testers still test and trust Kaspersky, competing with the others on the top list [all test results to consider], while a couple of other cases from other vendors are ever banned because of some reason like cheating; Kaspersky, McAfee (another US company), Europol, Netherlands Police was the founding partner of NoMoreRansom project, alongside hosting partners, other AV vendors, government agencies around the world, and even Interpol; Interpol strengthens cooperation with Kaspersky in the global fight against cybercrime since 2014 and extended in 2019-present; Just like other companies, Kaspersky has a dedicated page for something like deleting personal information if you have a concern about privacy; Kaspersky has a specific product for privacy-strict companies like Private KSN, no any of data leaving company's perimeter; Customer reviews like from Gartners, etc; A vendor with one of the best dedication to provide most comprehensive components into a free product; And there's a lot more...

Just a company getting crossfire in between politics? I don't side with any of these. IMO, I agree with the idea of limiting the usage of rival security products into the government's PC system, pretty sure Russia also did the same, maybe just update the allegation and continues the real investigation to obtain real and concrete proof? And limit it to certain govt agencies, something like Environmental Protection Agencies is unnecessary.
The same goes for other companies, I also have my own view that I should not consider something like Avast data selling incident affecting the trustworthiness of their product after their response to that issue.
A lot of vendors are as trustworthy or even better than Kaspersky, based on an individual evaluation, of course, the first thing to consider before start looking for an AV solution is to ask a question and find out reasonable proof of Which vendor you can trust the most?

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
My main concern with AVs are the servers where the malware samples are being sent. Some big AV companies don't seem to secure them properly and that means personal data might be leaking from your computer into the Internet.

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
I have 10 devices. Five of them have Bitdefender Total Security (5 user cost me $19.99) and the other five have Kaspersky Total Security (5 user cost me $18.99) and both are excellent. Bitdefender does use more RAM and I notice CPU usage when idle to be about 2% and sometimes 1%. . Kaspersky uses less RAM and CPU usage when idle is 1% and as low as .15%.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.