Advice Request Is McAfee antivirus is good for Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Is McAfee antivirus is good for Android?
why do you want to pay when you can get one of the best for free and without any advertisement. Sophos Intercept X is available for free and it has consistently achieved a 100% protection score in AV-TEST’s comparison of the top Android security and antivirus apps

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Same opinion as above, go with Sophos. The best imo out there and it's free.

Even then you do not need an AV for mobile phones, if you only stick to downloading Apps from the Play Store (official companies only) and stick to downloading PDFs, .doc/x, .txt , other work/personal related files from a separate device only.

~LDogg

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Always gets perfect or near perfect protection scores and low false-positive rates from testing labs.
It got dinged in the latest AV-Test report for generating too much traffic, which could cost you if it's happening while using mobile data.

Its free (ad-supported) version provides the basics but you have to pay a monthly/year subscription for certain features (Safe Web, App Lock, Backup, VPN), some of which are free in other vendors' products.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Is not good for Android and even is not good for PC. They are so many old. Using McAfee is like doesn't having nothing on your computer.

Easily Bypassed by Crypters, Ransomware and Trojans. A big NO.

Reactions: KonradPL

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Unless you don't stick with popular apps .
An AV is highly recommended .
Good one for Android is built in google one or third-party intercept X/ Kaspersky.
But checking permissions of apps is the first thing I would do!

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i don't use android ... but why would it need an antimalware? i thought they were Linux tight? i know I've heard that some apps from the store can be malicious, but wouldn't it be better to just use reputable store apps than to gum up your system?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
i don't use android ... but why would it need an antimalware? i thought they were Linux tight? i know I've heard that some apps from the store can be malicious, but wouldn't it be better to just use reputable store apps than to gum up your system?
Linux too have viruses but not to the extent of windows. Android even though it uses linux kernel ( modified) is not free of virus/ malwares. Since android is the most widely used os the extent and reach of a malware gets exponential and this is so much more attractive to any malware developer to create something which is detrimental to the user. Playstore ( Google Play) is not completely malware free ( by using the term malware, it also includes those apps which are not in sync with Google's security & privacy guidelines), there are instances when google had taken down apps which had violated it's privacy policy terms. Those apps when it had taken down had millions of installation instances. So android should have some antimalware app, even if you only uses apps from Google Play.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Linux too have viruses but not to the extent of windows. Android even though it uses linux kernel ( modified) is not free of virus/ malwares. Since android is the most widely used os the extent and reach of a malware gets exponential and this is so much more attractive to any malware developer to create something which is detrimental to the user. Playstore ( Google Play) is not completely malware free ( by using the term malware, it also includes those apps which are not in sync with Google's security & privacy guidelines), there are instances when google had taken down apps which had violated it's privacy policy terms. Those apps when it had taken down had millions of installation instances. So android should have some antimalware app, even if you only uses apps from Google Play.
So many ad Ware /fleece Ware on play store is just mind-blowing .
But unless the user downloads only popular apps and deny / give blank information when asked permission.
Is way better then using an AV on Android .
But for those who download tons of low reputation apps I would recommend an AV at the very least.

About Linux

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I just updated one of my family tablet wich is samsung a tablet 2020, i have noticed mcafee scan is as built-in feature on galaxy health services....so far i have not enabled it but today i just ran scan with it....i guess its okay to be enabled as its not actual mcafee app, just a scanner wich can be run whenever you feel so

If it would enable the actual mcafee app, i would have to be remove it. I only use kaspersky internet security free on my own android as it only scans updated/installed apps + storage manually, as theres no need for real-time protection or anything else wich are on paid version

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.