Advice Request Is Microsoft Security Essencials for Windows 7 is going better too ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Hello,
I've heard that Windows defender is improving his detection rate... but I want to know if it change in MSE in Windows 7 too ! Because lot's of people have MSE installed on their pc that have windows 7 !
So, it changed ?
Thanks !

S

Smith83

Thread author
From what I have seen from browsing various forums, MSE is trash and a large number of people have it installed that come in for help. You rarely see people with Kaspersky or Eset installed, asking for help in malware forums.

I have no thoughts on what you should use, but you could take a look at the malware hub here, and make a decision on what to use. Or av test.

Some people say that it is improving, but I am not sure if it is the built in version for windows 8 & 10 or MSE. For me personally I would stay away from it, or at least use a program like SecureAplus or Voodoo Shield to back it up....

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Geek- MSE isn't available for Win10, and the Win10 install process will actually uninstall it (or should, at any rate) when you upgrade the OS from 7. My advice would be to uninstall MSE prior to installing Win10, as any botched uninstall process may prevent Windows Defender from initializing.

Also, please don't think Defender on Win7 and Defender on Win10 are the same. The comparison would be similar to Clam AV vs ESET (night and day).

(I'll actually be releasing a video this weekend on this topic which may be of interest)

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
I dont think so. Because seems M$ forced users to use windows 10, which is not use MSE anymore, its windows defender.

P.S windows defender is way better than MSE, imo

Reactions: frogboy
S

Smith83

Thread author
Here is how I have set up a few machines for people I know. This is one of the lightest setups that you could have, also very effective at stopping a large amount of malware. Everything is free except Zemana which fairly cheap for what it does. If you were to get an infection with this setup, it's very likely you would have to had disabled something. I set this up for some family who were prone to infections a few months ago, they have not since contacted me to help them fix anything. Where they would usually call me once a month to help with something...

Zemana Premium Realtime protection main AV, with pandora activated.
Tiny Firewall -- Addition to built in firewall.
Ublock Origin - Fan boys Ultimate list added.
Ghostery - Set to block All trackers & cookies
Voodoo Shield - to help with unknowns.
Firefox main browser
Self destructing cookies Browser Add-on
Bluhell Firewall Browser Add-on
Privazer to clean up.
Ccleaner to manage startups and scheduled task.
Patch My PC To keep software up to date.
Destroy Windows Spying To keep your privacy in check.

Here are a few on-demand tools to run, to make sure you are clean as well...

Adware Cleaner
Adware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool
Zhp Cleaner
9-Lab Removal Tool
Eset Online Scan

I hope that you can use this information to help you along the way. :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Here is how I have set up a few machines for people I know. This is one of the lightest setups that you could have, also very effective at stopping a large amount of malware. Everything is free except Zemana which fairly cheap for what it does. If you were to get an infection with this setup, it's very likely you would have to had disabled something. I set this up for some family who were prone to infections a few months ago, they have not since contacted me to help them fix anything. Where they would usually call me once a month to help with something...

Zemana Premium Realtime protection main AV, with pandora activated.
Tiny Firewall -- Addition to built in firewall.
Ublock Origin - Fan boys Ultimate list added.
Ghostery - Set to block All trackers & cookies
Voodoo Shield - to help with unknowns.
Firefox main browser
Self destructing cookies Browser Add-on
Bluhell Firewall Browser Add-on
Privazer to clean up.
Ccleaner to manage startups and scheduled task.
Patch My PC To keep software up to date.
Destroy Windows Spying To keep your privacy in check.

Here are a few on-demand tools to run, to make sure you are clean as well...

Adware Cleaner
Adware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool
Zhp Cleaner
9-Lab Removal Tool
Eset Online Scan

I hope that you can use this information to help you along the way. :)
That would be a very good setup for a lot of people i think. ;)

S

Smith83

Thread author
That would be a very good setup for a lot of people i think. ;)

Hey it works for my brothers kids computer, they are masters of destruction when it comes to computers. Now....... not so much. :D

Reactions: frogboy
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Geek- MSE isn't available for Win10, and the Win10 install process will actually uninstall it (or should, at any rate) when you upgrade the OS from 7. My advice would be to uninstall MSE prior to installing Win10, as any botched uninstall process may prevent Windows Defender from initializing.
It's why I used the term MSE ! I know that MSE on Windows 7 = Windows defender on 8.1 and 10.
So my question is if Microsoft improve defender on 10, it will improve MSE on 7 ?
Thanks all !

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So my question is if Microsoft improve defender on 10, it will improve MSE on 7 ?

They are different, see the comparison chart below:

upload_2016-2-18_14-33-20.png

Source: Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.