Is MSE really that Bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Microsoft will also not work on MSE/Defender in Windows 10, but Windows Defender will be automatically enabled if your Antivirus (Preinstalled or installed afterwards) is expired
for 3 or more days.

Also there will be system lockdown which will basically only allow files which are trusted by Microsoft or your company to run or open.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Good morning! Just up for a moment and a question for all you malware testers. Are any of you testing your choice of AV to see if it blocks this Google Chrome epidemic that seems to be keeping our malware fighters quite busy these days. I'm wondering if MBAM Anti-Exploite might be helping prevent this Chrome infection from infecting my PC. When reading the threads in our malware section, members are saying they don't even have Chrome installed ,but it's showing up in task manager . What's that all about. Others are being told to uninstall Chrome. I'm not very smart about all of this, but is anyone trying to fix this Chrome thing or is that up to Google. Oh well I have never been a Chrome fan and I'm back to bed for awhile.
I have a lot of questions. That's the way I learn and pass it on!;)
PS I'm wondering what kind of security all these members have that are in our malware section getting TwinHeadedEagal and Argus to clean up their infected PC's. They must be using MSE and MBAM Pro.:):):):):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Quoting the words of Holly Stewart, a senior program manager at Microsoft Malware Protection Centre, MSE follows a "baseline strategy". What this means is that MSE is there to provide all users some antivirus protection, but it is not going to be the best. She claims that this is because Microsoft shares all that it knows about malware samples etc. with other antivirus companies, so they would naturally do better than Microsoft in test.

So does these statements mean we should all ditch MSE because it is not designed to be good? I don't think so. Baseline does not mean bad. If you follow all the security best practices, I think it is totally fine to stick to MSE. It has almost no FP and is one of the lightest AVs. In fact, those that claim Microsoft does not have advanced anti malware tech like reputation engine etc. is wrong because on windows 8, smartscreen is the rep engine from Microsoft. No point implementing the feature in MSE again.

I

illumination

Hi! The only way I can learn is by asking questions. I have only been a MT member since Sept. 2014
I think I have contributed a little to the forum. I want to learn more. I watch our Malware section and try hard to learn from the threads posted there.
Here's my question. I see all these virus tests being done by all these security programs. Which programs detected and which programs didn't detect. I have not seen where anyone tested with MSE to see if it would detect the malware.Why is that?? Am I missing some thing or is MSE a piece of crap. I run MSE and MBAM Pro and I can't remember ever getting infected, Could someone use these programs when testing for new malware. Sorry if my thread is confusing. I don't want to test my security for new malware, but I would like to see it tested if that is possible.
Thank you;)
I have run this very same configuration for long periods of time. I did how ever make exclusions for each one in each other. I also hardened my browser a little at the time "Firefox with Noscript". While running this combo for that period, i was not infected. I would scan in between times with Hitman Pro to make sure.. Running a test with this combo would be inconclusive, as the chances of finding a tester with the same exact set up and uses of your system would be quite rare, not to mention the chances of you landing in that mass amount of malware all at one time ;)

The backing up of your system is your greatest defense, your failsafe. I run Linux on my machine and even back it up with a program called Timeshift that allows me to create snapshots on the fly, so if anything happens, i will will just revert to one created earlier..

I would say with your config, and your habit of backing up, you are fine.. No need to bog your system down with so much armor that it can not move ;) :D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Good morning! Just up for a moment and a question for all you malware testers. Are any of you testing your choice of AV to see if it blocks this Google Chrome epidemic that seems to be keeping our malware fighters quite busy these days. I'm wondering if MBAM Anti-Exploite might be helping prevent this Chrome infection from infecting my PC. When reading the threads in our malware section, members are saying they don't even have Chrome installed ,but it's showing up in task manager . What's that all about. Others are being told to uninstall Chrome. I'm not very smart about all of this, but is anyone trying to fix this Chrome thing or is that up to Google. Oh well I have never been a Chrome fan and I'm back to bed for awhile.
I have a lot of questions. That's the way I learn and pass it on!;)
PS I'm wondering what kind of security all these members have that are in our malware section getting TwinHeadedEagal and Argus to clean up their infected PC's. They must be using MSE and MBAM Pro.:):):):):rolleyes::rolleyes:
MSE can do very good job with cleaning it clean the host file where many AV won't

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected a non-malware threat, aka PUP. Should I switch from Windows Defender? Am I infected?

upload_2015-1-5_15-48-58.png

Of course not, don't over-react just because WD/MSE is the baseline score for most AV testing sites, doesn't mean it's a bad Antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.