Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo

Level 2
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
I'm still in the early stages of researching this all myself after not following any of this for the past several years, so I can't offer any recent personal experience with it and don't have a lot of knowledge about it. Here's what I do know:
  • In PCMag reviews, Norton is one of their favorites based on lab tests and their (PCMag's) own tests
  • It seems to have more users than most that find it to be a resource hog or have other issues
  • Years ago, the one and only virus I've ever had was when I was running Norton/Symantec. After switching to AVG, I ran the same program again just to test AVG out and it immediately caught and deleted it. So Norton let me down big time. I realize that was a long time ago, and a lot can change in a year in this field, much less several years, but that was at a time when Norton was considered good as well. So I have a personal grudge against it.
  • Norton is one of three (the other two being Microsoft and McAfee) AV companies that refused to respond to a request of whether or not they whitelist or would whitelist NSA malware (Do Antivirus Companies Whitelist NSA Malware?)
  • Norton's reputation system is seriously flawed, resulting in developers having difficulty getting it to stop blocking their websites and software, and apparently Norton couldn't care less, despite some of their employees pushing for changes to the system (Symantec throws up hurdles to independent software developers | Hacker News)
Personally, I think I can get AV protection that's close enough to Norton's with free or other paid options and that Norton doesn't deserve my money. Of course, you have to make that decision yourself. I don't deny it may be very good at what it does, but to me there's just too many negatives to bother with it.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I'm still in the early stages of researching this all myself after not following any of this for the past several years, so I can't offer any recent personal experience with it and don't have a lot of knowledge about it. Here's what I do know:
  • In PCMag reviews, Norton is one of their favorites based on lab tests and their (PCMag's) own tests
  • It seems to have more users than most that find it to be a resource hog or have other issues
  • Years ago, the one and only virus I've ever had was when I was running Norton/Symantec. After switching to AVG, I ran the same program again just to test AVG out and it immediately caught and deleted it. So Norton let me down big time. I realize that was a long time ago, and a lot can change in a year in this field, much less several years, but that was at a time when Norton was considered good as well. So I have a personal grudge against it.
  • Norton is one of three (the other two being Microsoft and McAfee) AV companies that refused to respond to a request of whether or not they whitelist or would whitelist NSA malware (Do Antivirus Companies Whitelist NSA Malware?)
  • Norton's reputation system is seriously flawed, resulting in developers having difficulty getting it to stop blocking their websites and software, and apparently Norton couldn't care less, despite some of their employees pushing for changes to the system (Symantec throws up hurdles to independent software developers | Hacker News)
Personally, I think I can get AV protection that's close enough to Norton's with free or other paid options and that Norton doesn't deserve my money. Of course, you have to make that decision yourself. I don't deny it may be very good at what it does, but to me there's just too many negatives to bother with it.

Norton has been completly rewritten and can not be compared to the version from years ago.
Very light, fast updates and it runs pretty good.

In every test you find it scores very good : Symantec Norton Security Deluxe

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
ok it's an american software.....not everybody likes that ( NSA, etc.)
if we take a look at our malwarehub, we can see that norton is not a big fail.
we can see that if norton got infected, the other big players got infected too with malware (except kaspersky).

if people wanna have a light and solid product, they should norton give a chance (y)
if people wanna have best protection, they should go with gdata or kaspersky :)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Well, i uninstalled Norton, it broke my VPN again :( went to G-Data ( keeping my data in Europe :p )
Really liked Norton. Well G-Data is awesome too, loads of extra functions.

G Data is very solid. Dial up the firewall to 'Maximum' and watch how it notifies you of critical file changes and such. 2018 has been a great year for G Data, it's light, the BB and Firewall were improved nicely!

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I do not use American AV, but if it were to choose one, it would certainly be Norton, good signatures, Sonar does a good job (aggressive mode), has a good Firewall and is super lightweight.

@Faybert Couldn't have said it better myself! Newegg had the 10 license premium version on sale for $29.99 the other day which comes out to be ~$3.00 a license! I picked up a few packs of that, because of how good the software is and that the normal price is typcially $89.99 + shipping + tax. $29.99 and free shipping is a very good deal in my opinion. Cannot get any better other than a free after rebate which they don't typically do with the premium version.

~Brian

Reactions: frogboy and Faybert

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Norton works good, but..... it broke my vpn connection again. Glad i switched to G-Data, took some tests and it out performs Norton in every single way.
For example, Norton downloads the file and then scans it, G-Data blocks it even before it downloads, thats the way protection should work.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Yeah i can confirm that. I'm using Norton and switched from gdata. The one and only reason why i dont go back immediately to Gdata is the absolut lightness of Norton.

Reactions: L0ckJaw and frogboy

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Norton works good, but..... it broke my vpn connection again. Glad i switched to G-Data, took some tests and it out performs Norton in every single way.
For example, Norton downloads the file and then scans it, G-Data blocks it even before it downloads, thats the way protection should work.
and this is the worst thing about norton.
i hate norton because it can not block the malware before it downloads.

I

illumination

When Nortons VPN first came out, It was not working along side Norton either, i found after strolling into the firewall rules, that no rule was "auto-created" for the VPN, which happens sometimes with certain applications, after creating one manually, and allowing it through, it worked fine. If you find yourself having issues with your security and certain applications, it helps to look/ask around as someone close by may just have the answer you seek ;)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
When Nortons VPN first came out, It was not working along side Norton either, i found after strolling into the firewall rules, that no rule was "auto-created" for the VPN, which happens sometimes with certain applications, after creating one manually, and allowing it through, it worked fine. If you find yourself having issues with your security and certain applications, it helps to look/ask around as someone close by may just have the answer you seek ;)
The rules were there ! Just broke them :(

I

illumination

The rules were there ! Just broke them :(
Im not seeing "which" VPN you speak of.. My point was that most applications that break from a software generally can be addressed. Norton forums have some intelligent guys volunteering and have tested and come across many issues they know how to resolve. It never hurts to stop in over there and ask before giving up.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Im not seeing "which" VPN you speak of.. My point was that most applications that break from a software generally can be addressed. Norton forums have some intelligent guys volunteering and have tested and come across many issues they know how to resolve. It never hurts to stop in over there and ask before giving up.
Nevermind i ditched Norton. And the Chat Helpdesk is very bad, very bad English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.