Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Norton is good. But you can always add OSArmor. It is free, and it fills in some of the holes left by standard AV suites. In fact, that is its purpose.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It's very aggressive. I use it as a 2nd opinion scanner. I don't trust it on my computer. It would delete too many harmless programs, scheduled tasks and registry tweaks.

Reactions: shmu26 and XhenEd

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Detection wise Norton is a good AV..
Light on resources, Cheap painted interface looks ok though, Cloud and heuristics are aggressive with a lot of Fp's
A pretty on execution product , so so removal against unknown , Sonar based behaviour blocking
Cons: Web level protection is non existent..rest as per your wish..i do recommend it

Reactions: amico81 and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Norton will grind on an SSD... it will defragment (not optimize) the SSD even when the Idle Optimizer is disabled in settings.

Has been reported to death to Norton.
@Lockdown you should start a dedicated thread to publicize bits of important info like this. Another recent bit of important info was your report that bitsadmin evades detection by running at System level. All sorts of stuff like that. Let the world know about this stuff. If not the world, at least those who are interested...

palwan

Level 1
Sep 28, 2018
Norton and Trend Micro are the two which gives me suitable amount of licenses that can cover almost 8 of my devices and good price, others are too expensive and I am not skilled to set them well for perfect protection.

Liked the Trend Micro but it's telematery issue stopped me from using it. Still with trailing them all not sure yet which way to go.

Reactions: amico81
L

Local Host

I still don't understand why people keep talking price when it comes to Norton, their first subscription sure is discounted at 50% off, but starting the second subscription you pay as much as any other.

Norton licenses are pretty expensive compared to the competition if we look outside their normal retail stores too, you can get KIS Keys for as low as 5€.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I still don't understand why people keep talking price when it comes to Norton, their first subscription sure is discounted at 50% off, but starting the second subscription you pay as much as any other.

Norton licenses are pretty expensive compared to the competition if we look outside their normal retail stores too, you can get KIS Keys for as low as 5€.

If you choose not to renew with Norton you can buy on Amazon 10 device license for $40. That's pretty cheap. No need for automatic renewal.

Norton Premium for 10 devices can be had on newegg. They regularly run sales in the $25 to $30 range.

I don't want to hear about Newegg being hacked. So has just about everyone else been hacked, but you're still using them whether you know it or not.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?
Based on the quote above alone yes, to expand further; can any Premiun(Paid) security suite on it's own protect a system?
A: Yes. If used in conjunction with good/sensible browsing habits, no torrent downloading & good computer practises.

~LDogg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Norton FINALLY fixed the dreaded connectivity issue when setting it up. Not only that they released a new version with a bit of a nicer interface, and from the web portal a way better active installer.

None of the past issues seem to be present, so Norton should be safe now to recommend.

Also watch for deals, I've seen 10 device Norton in the past for $19 or so. Open a chat with Norton support and they will stack ALL of your keys, giving you many years of protection for very little money.

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Norton FINALLY fixed the dreaded connectivity issue when setting it up. Not only that they released a new version with a bit of a nicer interface, and from the web portal a way better active installer.

None of the past issues seem to be present, so Norton should be safe now to recommend.

Also watch for deals, I've seen 10 device Norton in the past for $19 or so. Open a chat with Norton support and they will stack ALL of your keys, giving you many years of protection for very little money.

I like the sound of that, but it feels that you're locking yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.