Is online banking safe in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
People say lot about windows and its safety,I want to know that is online banking safe in Linux?
Mac & Windows are Private products which give you service after you pay for them but linux is free and open source so should we trust it for our important data

Will you do online transaction or have done online transaction from linux?

D

Deleted member 178

the true question is not if your system is safe or not, it is if the data you send and collect are secured during the connection; you can have a bullet-proof anti-malware system but if the routers or the bank are compromised your are done.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I feel safer doing online banking (have done in the past) on Windows, but it must be my own personal computer.

Never do online financial activities on an unknown or foreign computer.

Linux is no safer than any other OS.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I don't think it is dangerous, I have also read an article about that: http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3834031/Consider-Linux-for-Secure-Online-Banking.htm

NOTE: There is one thing that didn't convince me in the above article, I don't recommend the use of Linux Live CD or USB. My reasoning for this is that the web browser may become outdated, which may be a security risk. And as mentioned, all the changes made during that session are deleted, so you have to update your system using the update manager in every new session. The method that I recommend is WUBI (recommended installation size is 8GB or more) or install it in a new partition.

Hope this helps. :)

I have a question, can the install of addons like AdBlock Plus, WOT, LastPass and some other similar addons increase the security risk of online banking?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I have a question, can the install of addons like AdBlock Plus, WOT, LastPass and some other similar addons increase the security risk of online banking?

Does this help any of your questions? (Read all).

[attachment=1629]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,043

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Stranger said:
People say lot about windows and its safety,I want to know that is online banking safe in Linux?

Since online banking security is a function of your web browser and not the OS, neither are better/worse than the other in terms of online banking.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Doing banking online with any operating system has it's risks. That's why it best to keep your AV up to date.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:

Does this help any of your questions? (Read all).

Indeed when I do online transactions using Avast Safezone it disable all the extensions of my browser as they are unsafe to do online transactions.

The best software is Keyscrambler if you do online transactions as it Encrypts the data you type.

P.S. One of my relative do shopping/pay bills online and he have no knowledge of security,he don't often clean and use win 7 with quickheal or avira on his laptop but he haven't faced any issue.
Sometimes its matter of luck than security :D

D

Deleted member 178

In fact common end users are not valuable targets, it cost more to a cyber-criminal to penetrate a basic user system than the benefit.
Most real valuable penetrations are costly in wealth and time because it need a true unknown coded 0-minute malware (not cheap to obtain) and structure to redirect the money stolen. It is why most attacks are directed against banks, company or billionnaires.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Quickheal is not a bad AV stranger. I have used it and my aunts buisness uses it. I switched to Kaspersky as I like its plethora of settings.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
malbky said:
Quickheal is not a bad AV stranger. I have used it and my aunts buisness uses it. I switched to Kaspersky as I like its plethora of settings.
Ya I know I was only giving a example but not claiming that QH is garbage :D

DeadDrop

Aug 19, 2012
It's much safer to bank on Linux IMHO. If you use Ubuntu + App-Armor + No-script, not much can get past you except for phishing emails. + all ports are closed by default on Ubuntu.

Windows doesn't have an App-Armor type setting except for Ultimate & Professional where you have Applocker. Most users are on Windows home or still XP so they are more unsafe than a well configured and patched linux.

The key is for all systems to keep up to date with security patches. I can't say that enough.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DeadDrop said:
It's much safer to bank on Linux IMHO. ~snip~ Most users are on Windows home or still XP so they are more unsafe than a well configured and patched linux.

Mostly disagree with the above. Any supported ( Linux = Windows = Mac = Android = iOS ) - All have the same level of risk. None are safer than the other.

Agree with the below.

DeadDrop said:
The key is for all systems to keep up to date with security patches. I can't say that enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.