Advice Request Is SafeBytes antivirus safe to use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjacobs

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 3, 2016
One of my friends suggest me to use SafeBytes antivirus. I have never heard of this. He ensure me that it works effectively. I am looking for review from real user. Anyone on this forum using SafeBytes?

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
W

Wave

Yeah I concur. A whole bunch of better options out there free and paid alike. Unless the Op has a license or something, I'd steer clear of it.
Even with a license I'd go no where near it and wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

It's a Rogue ... Dected by Eset
If ESET detect it as a rogue AV then it is definitely malicious (the chances of ESET messing up with a strict detection like this would be 1 in a million), case closed.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@roger_m ever tried it?
I just downloaded the new 2017 version, and it is a rebrand of Plumbytes Anti-malware. I scanned both the installer and executable in the Program Files folder at Virus Total, and neither was detected by ESET. The installer is detected by a few products as being a downloader, as it downloads the full setup file, but Dr Web is the only product that detects the AntiMalware.exe file in Program Files. It is detected as Program.Unwanted.1848, since Dr Web chooses not to identify unwanted software by its actual name.

In the past, it was not a rebrand. They had developed their own UI, and it was using a major AV engine, I forget which one. It may have been Bitdefender, Vipre or even Avria. I'm not too sure, as it's been a while.

Last edited:
W

Wave

I just downloaded the new 2017 version, and it is a rebrand of Plumbytes Anti-malware. I scanned both the installer and executable in the Program Files folder at Virus Total, and neither was detected by ESET. The installer is detected by a few products as being a downloader, as it downloads the full setup file, but Dr Web is the only product that detects the AntiMalware.exe file in Program Files. It is detected as Program.Unwanted.1848, since Dr Web chooses not to identify unwanted software by its actual name.

In the past, it was not a rebrand. They had developed thier own UI, and tt was using a major AV engine, I forget which one. It may have been Bitdefender, Vipre or even Avria. I'm not too sure, as it's been a while.
Thank you! :)

Sorry, I didn't check the detection myself... I assumed the member above meant that ESET detected it as a rogue... I misunderstood him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.