Is Sandboxie good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareBeater

Thread author
Mar 12, 2013
I know that many people really like Sandboxie. Is it really that effective against malware escaping? I am just curious about what you guys think. Thanks for your input.

I

illumination

Sandboxie is an excellent piece of software, one can not go wrong adding it to their arsenal.

I

illumination

There are none that im aware of at the time, ages ago, there had been a bypass, those have long since been patched. Personally, i would advise using other security with sandboxie, and you would be just fine.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Sandboxie is an excellent piece of Software.It has both free & paid versions and you can also purchase a lifetime license.I agree with illumination that you should also use it alongside other Security Software as this is advised by the author of Sandboxie.

I like the safety that is provided while browsing in the sandbox.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
I ran a whole year AV-less, using only Sandboxie + Latest Chrome and Adblock+WOT. I browsed a lot of unknown sites with Chrome sandboxed, didn't get any infection ever. :)
That plus Panda USB Vaccine so I don't get infections from USB drives.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Here's what the forums say
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14781

I

illumination

Gnosis said:
Is Sandboxie good?

Does a bear defecate in the woods?

:lol:

bearpoop_zps8b16cd4f.jpg

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
MalwareBeater said:
I know that many people really like Sandboxie. Is it really that effective against malware escaping? I am just curious about what you guys think. Thanks for your input.

It's good, it's not 100% safe, but well nothing can guarantee 100% but if you have a decent AV solution + Sandboxie Browser during surfing you won't really run into any problem's, unless you purposely try something to get your self infected :p.

D

Deleted member 178

mercurial said:
It's good, it's not 100% safe, but well nothing can guarantee 100% but if you have a decent AV solution + Sandboxie Browser during surfing you won't really run into any problem's, unless you purposely try something to get your self infected :p.

if you have an AV & sandboxie installed , it will be very difficult to being infected.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Bo, is a great person to tell you about Sandboxie. :)

I've used it, but only in the tests I did and boy did it do great? If I had to run it instead of Trend I would.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
MalwareBeater said:

I have the bad habit of executing malware in the Sandbox.... And I have done this more than a few times... I have never seen a malware sample that could escape this virtual environment. I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are like only 0,000001% chances of this happening.

Reactions: Skinoku

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
sandboxie plus AV or Virus??..your choice

yes agreed nothing is 100% invinceable but IMO this is pretty damned close

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
you keep telling yourself that sunshine
and I'll keep licking windows lol

as Machine Gun Kelly says but tweaked by softwareFREEK
As long as MT's got Umbra Corp. I am, we are, invincible :p

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
softwareFREEk said:
sandboxie plus AV or Virus??..your choice

Sometimes we're all too paranoid. In my year of av-less usage I didn't give a crap about malware because I was in control of everything.

Only browsed unknown sites with Sandboxie, had a system image backup made with Acronis True Image and used Panda USB Vaccine.

I used my USB drive on hundreds of pcs and never caught any malware whatsoever. I used to run full scans with MBAM every once in a while but that was just for lolz.

Therefore, your statement "sandboxie plus AV or Virus??..your choice" doesn't make any sense to me or any other advanced users out there that know what they're doing. Many times security solutions have caused problems to me that made me wonder what I would prefer, malware or bugged security solutions.

When antiviruses act like malware causing BSODs and instability and you spend time troubleshooting instead of being productive, that's really an issue.

My point is, there is no simple choice such as "Antivirus or Virus, choose".

D

Deleted member 178

Most BSODs are due to incompatibility with another apps in the system or some old drivers from another security product.

When i install a new solution on my system, i do it on a clean system (restored from an image or snapshot) that never had any other security apps on it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.