Advice Request Is Software like Unchecky really Needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Unchecky actually needed

• Yes

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Personally I understand why this could be benifical and want to be careful in case there are sneaky downloads. However, couldn't you just save a little extra system resources and potential bloating if the system by just stopping and thinking?

What do you guys think?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Websites that repackage installers often are packed with hidden or deceptive advertising phrases to confuse the users into installation additional or sponsored software.

To be clear, Unchecky is NOT bloatware.

It does not consume memory or storage space, it operates in the background with minimal user interaction. It's install and forget. Checkboxes are automatically de-checked, because that's what Unchecky does.

Anyone can use it, not limited to average users.

If you want to quickly install software but forget to un-check Ask Toolbar, that is extra time spent to uninstall.

Last edited:
O

Omnipotent

Ever since i heard about uTorrent silently bundling itself with bitcoin mining software i installed unchecky and removed uTorrent, i used to be stupid in my early PC days, thinking that if i downloaded pirated content i wouldn't get a virus. It's a nice lightweight program, i would recommend using it, you never know when a program can trick you into installing adware.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I keep it on because installers hide the little add-on enable/disable tick boxes well by making them look unimportant or taking your focus away from the tick boxes. Whether it's needed or not is up to the person, a lot of individuals find it to be very helpful.
It's very light and works in the background, so I don't see why I wouldn't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.