Advice Request Is Software like Unchecky really Needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Unchecky actually needed

• Yes

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
Unchecky is a useful program that people can choose to download if they feel they need it. It uses very little system resources and there is no negatives with installing it. If a user knows they are always careful while installing software then they won't need it. Unchecky is sort of a backup just in case there is a misclick. ;)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I voted NO.
Unchecky Useful... YES, NEEDED... no.
Its weird but even when I knew little about computers I still rarely had PUP's... only a few, and nowadays none :)

My last PUP was early last yr OpenCandy in my old fav uninstaller... but there was no box to uncheck this, it was in the files themself. My Anti-virus Avira destroyed it on contact.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It saves some time for the medium level to expert users having to de-select checkboxes.

It saves the cost to repair their PC's for the inexperienced users.

Believe me 70% of the people are illiterate about having to uncheck these boxes while installing. This software is extremely useful for them.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
It saves some time for the medium level to expert users having to de-select checkboxes.

It saves the cost to repair their PC's for the inexperienced users.

Believe me 70% of the people are illiterate about having to uncheck these boxes while installing. This software is extremely useful for them.

Save time ? You have to uncheck ( as far as I saw) , it simply warn you

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
From my expirience it is great software, most of my family is click, click, Yes, Next type of users. They didn't learn English language in that level to use PC with usefull knowleage of privacy and security. Even when using software in my native language they don't understand the implications of unchecking garbage. In the end Uncheky saves me a lot of time for maintenance of theirs compiters.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I think we all can agree that there are:

1) Extremely careful and cautious users
2) Average careful/unchecking users <----needs unchecky
3) Apathetic users who click Next Next... <---definitely needs unchecky

It's safe to say that such software is bundled in because it would not always be downloaded/installed otherwise. Best examples...stuff bundled with well-known software like Java and CCleaner. And the person who must be installing, installs it in good faith or simply aware. And the junk that ends up on his system bogs him down even more than Unchecky could. If there is a need and a solution... I'm glad Unchecky was able to make use of it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Unchecky is needed by majority of users who are casual and have basic knowledge in computers.

Of course for experience users, it's no longer needed.

Overall the tool is not useless nor unnecesary, it has the purpose to do against misleading bundled products that tries to hide the checkbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.