Advice Request Is the latest version of Malwarebytes so good it makes antivirus obsolete?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is the latest version of Malwarebytes so good it makes antivirus obsolete?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Antivirus was already obsolete

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
aCgjIf.png

Taken from Facebook

dFszxW.png

taken from Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

I may be about to give the realtime Premium another trial. In the past it was too heavy for my old system. is it any better now, or with the additional features even heavier?

D

Deleted member 178

This is just marketing stunt. AVs are needed for the general population because they can't handle more complex methods of protection. Now if you ask if the AV model is obsolete, it is another topic.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
This is just marketing stunt. AVs are needed for the general population because they can't handle more complex methods of protection. Now if you ask if the AV model is obsolete, it is another topic.

When answering yes to Antivirus was already obsolete I assumed the question WAS referring to the AV model. As the general population have probably never even heard of MB I thought that context was established.

Having said that I would certainly NOT want to give MB any credit for making AVs being obsolete. Have I made sense?

D

Deleted member 178

When answering yes to Antivirus was already obsolete I assumed the question WAS referring to the AV model. As the general population have probably never even heard of MB I thought that context was established.
If it was the model questioned, so MBAM is included because they use signature-based model too...
If they play on words and saying they are an anti-malware and not an anti-virus; so it is a marketing stunt, because AVs disappeared long ago...only the term survived.
And as @WinXPert said, they suxx against worms and old school viruses.

Last edited by a moderator:

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
If it was the model questioned, so Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is included because they use signature-based model too...
If they play on words and saying they are a anti-malware and not an anti-virus; so it is a marketing stunt. because AV disappeared long ago...only the term survived.
And as @WinXPert said, they suxx against worms and old school viruses.

I totally agree and I am confused about what answer I should select for the Poll questions.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
If some software can make an antivirus obsolete, it certainly is not Malwarebytes. MBAM 3.0 is a resource hog, high CPU usage, poor realtime protection and poor signature detection. Maybe a good behaviour blocker or anti-executable could make traditional antivirus obsolete, none of these Malwarebytes have.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I don't like version 3. Inefficient and buggy. I'm also not impressed after seeing some tests in MalwareTips. I have a lifetime license so I hope they can become great again someday.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Although the new malwarebytes has different modules like ransomware protection and anti exploit protection I still find that the signatures and detections modules of their protection lacking. They don't exactly have the best signatures, they are most well known for removing PUPs rather than trojans or other malware.

They used to be more resource friendly too, but after the update they have begun to use a lot more RAM and I think that makes it a little herder to run it as a companion AV.

It used to be a great second opinion scanner but now there are scanners which offer greater coverage

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Like other guys in the thread have said (or worded it better than I will) MalwareBytes, if installed, is best as a second-opinion scanner...along-side existing security.

That said, I think they are aware that IT department of companies (or even the home consumer) would rather buy one product only - no sense spending more money buying a second-opinion scanner. So MalwareBytes seems to want to say...if you're buying an antivirus (but not buying anti-malware), you might as well buy our product.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Biggest mistake MalwareBytes made was combining all their products into one.
Before, it was problematic where it ate ram! but now it freezes and locks my PC so i have to reboot!!
I am considering dumping MBAM for good.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Statements such as this one from Malwarebytes don't help anybody .

It will only confuse the " Mom and Pop" users ( I've been recommending it to non-expert users for many years as an on-demand scanner ) .

It will irritate and annoy " Power Users " ( for want of a better term ) ,
and it diminishes the long-established credibility of Malwarebytes in general .

A rash statement IMO .

Last edited:
W

Wave

I don't think Malwarebytes is anywhere near at the level of a vendor like Kaspersky, I wish they would stop the marketing they are using now while trying to push out of the zone they were previously in and just fall back as marketing to be "second-opinion"... IMO if you have existent primary protection (Anti-Virus/Internet Security) from a vendor like Avast, Kaspersky, ESET or Emsisoft, then I would never recommend listening to the Malwarebytes marketing as being a replacement for Anti-Virus software.

What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware have? Exploits are already mitigated by other vendors (even ESET has some exploit mitigation), and other vendors can protect against ransomware as well - not to mention that when ransomware goes undetected by Malwarebytes signature-based detection/static heuristics, I see it just do absolutely nothing during my tests... Is it even dynamic-based?

It's all marketing IMO, but all of this is based on my personal views/testing therefore take it with a grain of salt ofc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.