Advice Request Is the latest version of Malwarebytes so good it makes antivirus obsolete?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is the latest version of Malwarebytes so good it makes antivirus obsolete?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Antivirus was already obsolete

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm sorry for those newly users who would believe that MBAM is better than other typical antiviruses.

The actual context where MBAM itself still suffer passive detection capabilities since the range of threats are widen; plus the fact it lacks more on behavior protection mechanism (even contains Shuriken/heuristics).

Although in terms of repair capabilities then something MBAM is consistent.

In terms of ransomware protection then the team must incorporate behavior analysis pattern on their lab.

W

Wave

I'm sorry for those newly users who would believe that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is better than other typical antiviruses.

The actual context where Malwarebytes Anti-Malware itself still suffer passive detection capabilities since the range of threats are widen; plus the fact it lacks more on behavior protection mechanism (even contains Shuriken/heuristics).

Although in terms of repair capabilities then something Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is consistent.

In terms of ransomware protection then the team must incorporate behavior analysis pattern on their lab.
It can't even detect a basic dynamic forking sample, all they need to do is hook some functions and log them to detect the API sequence in memory: NtReadVirtualMemory, NtUnmapViewOfSection, NtWriteVirtualMemory, NtGetThreadContext, NtSetThreadContext, NtResumeThread, etc. (not in order btw).

Damn where is my job offer I would have all of this done and working fine for them within a day of working lol

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Malwarebytes, starting from the earliest versions, has always had a good detection against adware, spyware, toolbar, etc, but the threats have changed, they have become more dangerous, and so also Malwarebytes seeks to expand its detections and protections.
The roadmap seems to be to implement a version with a big context of action that can recognize and block pretty much everything.

But, as a personal opinion, I don't want to pay a license of Malwarebytes, to fully replace a proven and effective antivirus protection, at least for the moment.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think it's a perfectly fine real-time companion to a traditional antivirus product (even though I'd argue that Zemana would be a better choice), especially against PUPs and malicious sites but I wouldn't ever use it as a replacement for a traditional AV. I just haven't seen it prove particularly effective in protecting a system by itself.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is good enough to replace IS suites. And i do believe it is on par with all major developers in this branch, ... than again it all depends on the person who uses a machine.
If you know what you are doing, Windows Defender is all you need (even better with some GPO tweaks).

W

Wave

Right, I remember AdAware and MalwareBytes going head to head for a few years.
Another example of how the table can turn and he mighty falling ;)
I used to have a lot of respect for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and I used to even use it myself but based on my private testing on both a host and virtual machine, it's fell behind a lot IMO for software-based malware... It's ok for web filtering though I guess.

Although I do think the dynamic components within it are a joke, I wonder if the code behind it is commented out lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.