Question Is there a free browser vpn for windows? Proton vpn can only has a desktop version

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, there are several free browser VPNs available for Windows such as Hotspot Shield, Windscribe, and TunnelBear. However, please note that free versions may have limitations like data caps or reduced speed.

Reactions: Keyang556

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
A friend of mine uses ProtonVPN on their Android. If you see on their website too it shows there is a lot more platforms than just the desktop version.
1714301692774.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi,
like in the title "Is there a free browser vpn for windows? Proton vpn can only has a desktop version"
Your information is wrong, the thread title looks sort of misleading and should be changed for the correct information.

Proton provides even free browser addons/extensions for Chromuim-based browsers and for Firefox (Gecko-based browsers), but be aware of the browsing speed limitations... as the same for Proton for Windows (Desktop version).
@Azazel shared #3 already the direct link to Chrome web store...
Here is the direct link for Firefox: Proton VPN: a Swiss VPN you can trust – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Your information is wrong, the thread title looks sort of misleading and should be changed for the correct information.

Proton provides even free browser addons/extensions for Chromuim-based browsers and for Firefox (Gecko-based browsers), but be aware of the browsing speed limitations... as the same for Proton for Windows (Desktop version).
@Azazel shared #3 already the direct link to Chrome web store...
Here is the direct link for Firefox: Proton VPN: a Swiss VPN you can trust – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
I tried chrome extension some weeks ago. In order to use it, you have to pay

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In browser I'm using Urban VPN. YES, it's not anonymous by any means (even though they claim that); they collect pretty much anything they can. But since I only use it for unblocking websites, it's more than enough for me. It also has huge number of locations, unlimited bandwidth for "free". I also keep extension disabled all the times and enable it only when I need to use it.

For torrenting and basically downloading anything, luckily I don't need VPN or any other software. But I do have Proton VPN and Windscribe installed. Though my hate for Proton VPN keeps growing each month.

Last edited:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
What don't you like about ProtonVPN ? I didn't notice any short comings as of yet. enlighten me.
They advertise their free VPN as very generous when the fact it's not. With each update, their "generous" free VPN is becoming worse and worse. They literally randomly decided to disable country selection in their free plan and started blocking torrents. Additionally, they claim their VPN doesn't have ads when in fact it does have ads (every few times VPN launches it shows pop-up ad about premium).

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
They advertise their free VPN as very generous when the fact it's not. With each update, their "generous" free VPN is becoming worse and worse. They literally randomly decided to disable country selection in their free plan and started blocking torrents. Additionally, they claim their VPN doesn't have ads when in fact it does have ads (every few times VPN launches it shows pop-up ad about premium).
Hi Marko,
I joined them only very recently, so I don't know what they offered previously. So what I don't know about I don't miss. I see they designed it so that there is a concentration of servers per continent. That seems reasonable; put the servers in the cheapest places per continent. Their arrangement works for me - I get fast access.
You can download OpenVPN - they make their own app. OpenVPN Connect - VPN For Your Operating System | OpenVPN Then download ProtonVPN's server definition config files, import those into OpenVPN and then you shouldn't see the ads.

Last edited:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Hi Marko,
I joined them only very recently, so I don't know what they offered previously. So what I don't know about I don't miss.
You can download OpenVPN - they make their own app. Then download ProtonVPN's server definition config files, import those into OpenVPN and then you shouldn't see the ads.
You can, but that's not the point. The point is their business model, which is lure customers and then take features away to make them pay. This is not a good business practice which is why I'm starting to hate Proton and their services.

We shall not forget this: ProtonMail deletes 'we don't log your IP' boast from website after French climate activist reportedly arrested

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
ProtonMail deletes 'we don't log your IP' boast from website after French climate activist reportedly arrested Thats bad. I'll keep that in mind.

Pricing . ProtonVPN is still Currently saying they don't keep logs for their free vpn service. You'd think they would learn from their sister business and really keep no logs this time?

I can't comment about whether ads are shown if using their vpn app - I am on Linux, and Gnome has openvpn built in, so naturally I went the app-free way and used their server definition config files. I don't want extra apps to broaden my attack surface.

Since their ads are only trying to sell their for-pay services, that is understandable. They are not showing commercial ad's urging you to drink Coca-Cola. I wouldn't say that they have a business model that promotes things and then take them away. Moving around servers to a different cheaper country is just business optimization - you have to remember that the service is free, so they have to lower costs when there is opportunity to do so.

Take advantage of their free servers by using workarounds like installing OpenVPN app for Windows. Maybe their free service will go away entirely later, who knows. But there exists a good thing while it lasts. If they are true to their original goal - provide security for all , then this free vpn service will stay.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.