Advice Request Is there any standalone decent Anti-ransomware that works on Windows XP SP3?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Tools like SD or Rollback RX are the better options and a little training for committing a few files to be permanently written to disk (etc) will be necessary.
If not, and if you just want a standalone anti-RW and not replace the AV itself, Cybereason RansomFree or CheckMal Appcheck are some options.
RansomFree protected 2/3 times in recent MH tests (though not great, limited options and free version products will bring such protection) and is moderately light. Appcheck free on the other hand has limited protection by provisions. I am not aware of it's resource usage though. @Evjl's Rain can say a word or two about that.
it's very light, almost not noticeable. However, I don't think it supports win XP. Officially for windows 7+. He may try to install if it works
Kaspersky AR also doesn't support XP
ransomoff also doesn't support

the only great antiransomware which still supports XP is winantiransom (from winpatrol). It's a paid product. Cruelsister already demonstrated how good it was in her old videos. 0 bypass in all videos

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
it's very light, almost not noticeable. However, I don't think it supports win XP. Officially for windows 7+. He may try to install if it works
Kaspersky AR also doesn't support XP
ransomoff also doesn't support

the only great antiransomware which still supports XP is winantiransom (from winpatrol). It's a paid product. Cruelsister already demonstrated how good it was in her old videos. 0 bypass in all videos
Yes, I missed checking that.

WinPatrol WAR supports from Windows XP SP3 through Windows 10. @_CyberGhosT_ uses it and @mekelek, you can get an idea about how WAR does on everyday use from him (Win10) if you want to. You can then think of its likely performance on XP.

The user is "grandma" style , so comodo is too complex.
Though true, won't SRP be similar in effect?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I highly recommended on using rollback software/ virtualization as mentioned by proponent members, cause any anti-ransomware programs will fail later on when a new strain existed.

Likely you need a strong Anti-exe based like Voodoshield which will secure from executable and scripts.

You need to upgrade on Windows 7 or 10 as soon as possible; since ransomware can attack through security holes when unpatched.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
The user is "grandma" style , so comodo is too complex.

@Umbra, what if OP turns off alerts and set the widget to not show? In this case, wouldn't the only thing to learn/remember be how to empty the container when something strange happens?

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
What about trying Avast free hardened mode aggresive (and high settings, with PUPs) instead of ESET?

Reactions: AtlBo

how does it compare in performance hit compared to ESET?

XP is not the issue; the CPU and memory is the issue.

I have an ancient Pentium system. On it, security softs that do not cause a troublesome performance hit are SRP, anti-executable and stand-alone HIPS softs.

I can install both SRP and anti-executable or standalone HIPS and startup, surfing, etc are OK.

Reactions: tonibalas and AtlBo

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
how does it compare in performance hit compared to ESET?
As performance, I don't know. You may try it and then remove if it's too heavy. As security, it should be really good. The problem is that I can't think of any other anti-EXE for XP. Does EXE radar pro work on XP?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
What u think about comodo cloud av? Its compatible with xp and realy light. u dont need to care about ransomware or 99,9% of malwares if its autosandboxed and after restart the sandbox delet itself.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
What u think about comodo cloud av? Its compatible with xp and realy light. u dont need to care about ransomware or 99,9% of malwares if its autosandboxed and after restart the sandbox delet itself.

I own Phenom x4 oc 3.8 ghz. And comodo cloud AV consumes about 4% of the cpu. Other products (Zemana) consume only 0.1 cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.