Advice Request Is there much difference between Opera's (GX) built in adblocker and uBlock Origin?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Is there much difference between Opera's (GX) built in adblocker, which blocks adds, tracking and malware and uBlock Origin? I think it uses most of the same filters.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
As I know, the adblocker in Opera does't support all the syntax of block lists. I am not an expert, but it seems that it does't allow to use of scripts inside, which limits the ability to block some complex ads, but in most cases you will not see the difference. However, please note that only Brave and uBlock for Firefox can block CNAME trackers and ads, so it will be useful to install some secure DNS in Opera with support for filtering ads and trackers for an extra layer of privacy.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
About CNAME tracker:
Update
(2021-03-16): Many people now know AdGuard published CNAME tracker lists. As I wrote below, one should note even without such lists or CNAME uncloaking EasyPrivacy already blocked at least 70% of CNAME tracker all over the world. From the perspective of a filter author, CNAME tracker is no different from other tracker - we inspect script or request and if it sends unnecessary user data we block it unless doing so causes trouble. In fact, I was the first one opened an issue in the AdGuard's CNAME tracker repository to expand its coverage - some of CNAME tracker I proposed were not blocked not only by AdGuard but also by other services such as NextDNS because the trackers were unknown to them. CNAME uncloaking is done by checking the tracker's canonical name in known tracker database so is helpless against unknown tracker, and there are always such trackers out there.

I really don't understand why it's so special to some people. Apparently they still believe subscribing a dedicated anti CNAME tracker list is mandatory to block them if a DNS-level blocker is not deployed on an other layer. The fact is EasyPrivacy alone, or the combination of AdGuard Tracking Protection and my list, blocks about 70% of CNAME tracker while DEFINITELY many other analytics and trackers have slipped whatever your lists through, as long as you visit many sites. You prefer to double-lock a window and keep the door open? CNAME tracker is NOT at all harder to block and filter authors know much more serious circumvention. Of note, Google provides Server-side Tagging as announced in early 2020. This utilizes A or AAAA record, which is very well expected at the time of the CNAME fuss1. It's weird those who made fuss about CNAME cloaking seem to be silent about this. All these remind me that many people keep NoCoin despite EasyPrivacy + uBlock filters - Resource abuse covers 99% of them, and that others keep Adblock Warning Removal with a completely wrong assumption it has something to do with anti-adblock wall. Don't be fooled by misinformation on the Internet.
Source: Yuki2718/adblock

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
As I know, the adblocker in Opera does't support all the syntax of block lists. I am not an expert, but it seems that it does't allow to use of scripts inside, which limits the ability to block some complex ads, but in most cases you will not see the difference. However, please note that only Brave and uBlock for Firefox can block CNAME trackers and ads, so it will be useful to install some secure DNS in Opera with support for filtering ads and trackers for an extra layer of privacy.
What about the difference for Opera only?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm not completely sure but I think the adblocker in Opera is less advanced.
So, in practice it could block less stuff.
If that doesn't bother you great, one extension less to deal with.
If you need more from an adblocker use uBlock Origin next to the buit-in Opera and you could uncheck the lists already used by Opera.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I'm not completely sure but I think the adblocker in Opera is less advanced.
So, in practice it could block less stuff.
If that doesn't bother you great, one extension less to deal with.
If you need more from an adblocker use uBlock Origin next to the buit-in Opera and you could uncheck the lists already used by Opera.
The only difference I notice is on the famous "adult" websites.😁 Opera blocks the adds on the page, but when you click on a video, it opens a new tab with an add. That doesn't happen with uBlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
What about the difference for Opera only?
I haven't used classic Opera for a long time, but I don't think that they would make two different adblockers, most likely Opera and Opera GX work the same way.

Just add here opera://settings/?search=DNS some secure DNS like AdGuard or controld.com (or NextDNS if you need more control and options), after that you can add in Opera adblocker this lists:
https://filters.adtidy.org/extension/chromium/filters/2.txt - AdGuard Base filter
https://filters.adtidy.org/extension/chromium/filters/3.txt - AdGuard Tracking Protection filter

I think that this is enough and there is no need to install a separate extension, like ublock, specifically in Opera.

As I understand it, NextDNS will block the CNAME tracker based on the match of IP addresses in DNS records (maybe I'm wrong), which gives a larger coverage area than just a list of known CNAME trackers made manually for some list, so it can achieve not 70%, but maybe 90% of the blocks.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
After a quick search: Opera's adblocker is supposed to be faster, because it's integrated deeper in the webpage rendering engine, blocking stuff way earlier than extensions do. It works before the ad elements load, blocking them but also saving you bandwidth, and improving the load times.

@CyberDevil Thanks. I was still getting the white screen timer on youtube, so I went here: AdGuard Ad Filters | AdGuard Knowledgebase And I've added a couple more filters, but didn't solve the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.