Is there such a thing of having to many programs or software installed ?

Can you have too much programs or software installed ?

• No

• Yes

• Sometimes

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I still see now and then people with more than one antivirus or two or more helper programs (eg: H_C, VoodooShield, OSArmor, Spy Shelter, etc) and believe they are twice as safe.

Highest I ever saw was someone with three real-time antivirus programs running simultaneously. I could not understand this.

Pixelman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
My final answer is
Kinda GIF

just kidding
Henry The Worst Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think it's about the number of programs you have installed.

I only install essential programs such as driver related and security related programs on the system drive. I use the portable version whenever possible.
Ever since I found updating adobe flash player and JRE really annoying, I started using it that way.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
A friend of mine, posted this long time ago in the first Kaspersky fan club:

"Cleanup and optimization: De-junkifying. The average user user tends to accumulate so much free, popular, random, useless, infectious junk (FPRUIJ). Why does this happen? Because for the average popular user, both downloading and installing fpruij feels so good, and having it to show to his/her peers is so cool, too. So anyway, I inventory items in add/remove programs and attempt to point out the fpruij, that is starting and running with Windows, that should be uninstalled. The other person says "Yes, let's get rid of it". Just kidding! What really happens is the person looks grief stricken at the thought of having to part with his/her precious fpriuj collection. And panic stricken, to. "What will all my friends say when they find out that I don't have all the fpriuj that is required to be a member of the Young, Cool and Heavily Infected Group?"

So, optimizing configuration for performance and infection risk management is both a tech issue and also a cultural issue. Users get infected because of their infectious behaviors and infectious configurations. Then they blame the security application that they have installed this week, and end up with a long list of security applications that they malign.

When an intervening crisis occurs, (a severe malware infection), the user seeks assistance, gets disinfected and is then told to surf safe. The angry response is immediate. "That's why I have a security application, so I can do all the infectious behaviors that my friends do". Members of this group, the "at high risk for infection group", are also "repeat infection group" members, too. Reminding them to not disable first line protection is a waste of effort. They continue to disable primary protection, so the can download and run the same fpruij that other members of their group download and run. Reminding them to stay away from bad sites is a monumental waste of effort. They return to the bad sites that their friends go to.

The only way that I have been able to convince people to optimize for performance and infection risk management is to, when an intervening crisis occurs, confront them with the fact that what they think is a normal behavior and configuration, is in fact negative; that what they see all their peers doing configurationally and behaviorally is not normal, but is in fact negative. Only when the repeat infection person admits the above, and is willing to change groups, that is, join the Security Community, and abandon the Culture of Infection, can the person adopt and maintain an optimized configuration and behaviors. Just as members of the security community receive positive feedback from the group to stay secure; members of the Culture of Infection receive very strong negative pressure from the group to stay in that group. This fact is overlooked as the main reason why it is so very difficult for infection prone users to achieve and maintain infection free status."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.