Question Is there value/benefit in using HitmanPro.Alert?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Choose a security suite that meets your requirements. Make sure your system is always up to date. HMP.A and related solutions are unnecessary when using a security suite.

ryanh

Level 1
Thread author
May 2, 2023
Choose a security suite that meets your requirements. Make sure your system is always up to date. HMP.A and related solutions are unnecessary when using a security suite.
Thanks. Can you expand on what you mean by 'security suite'? What does a 'security suite' include or exclude?

Reactions: Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Is Norton Power Eraser portable or does it require a full installation?

Portable :)

Compared to Bitdefender and Malwarebytes Free and Norton Power, would you say that f-secure is a better choice with Malwarebytes Free and Norton Power, or is it just fine with f-secure alone? :)

I always recommend having a 2nd scanner with any antivirus! :)
For example I have Eset, Malwarebytes and NPE :)

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Thanks. Can you expand on what you mean by 'security suite'? What does a 'security suite' include or exclude?
Kaspersky and Bitdefender are modern security suites that provide exceptional overall protection. I recommend Comodo, an advanced security suite, to users who have a fundamental understanding of it and are open to learning more. The minimum features of my security suite should be a firewall, antimalware, and proactive protection.

Reactions: ryanh

ryanh

Level 1
Thread author
May 2, 2023
I always recommend having a 2nd scanner with any antivirus! :)
For example I have Eset, Malwarebytes and NPE :)
Is that the premium or freemium version of Malwarebytes? Why do you recommend a second scanner? I'm assuming an on-demand access rather than one that's running continuously in the background.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Is that the premium or freemium version of Malwarebytes? Why do you recommend a second scanner? I'm assuming an on-demand access rather than one that's running continuously in the background.

I have the free one on my pc and the premium one on the laptop.
I always recommend a 2nd scan as your antivirus scan may be missing unwanted applications etc etc

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Assuming I haven't misunderstood, it suggests that HitmanPro.Alert does provide added value if it's detecting behavioral patterns other solutions won't?
It provides what is called Intrusion Detection System, more specifically Host-Based Intrusion Detection System that works as group of rules/policies that should not be performed.
For example, Adobe Reader should not drop executable files (it has no good reason to do so).
Code should not be injected in notepad.exe and mspaint.exe.
The CryptoGuard module works by copying files prior to their modification in a repository— once ransomware is identified they will be restored.

Bitdefender has had Intrustion Detection System since 2008 (when they released the 2009 generation). Later on it was merged with Active Virus Control, which was renamed Active Threat Control and now Advanced Threat Defence. It includes rules of actions that should not be performed. It also includes the same ransomware defence, called Ransomware Remediation.

By running multiple solutions of this sort, you risk conflicts (even though they suggest it’s compatible), reduced disk space, performance and lifespan with multiple programmes copying files in a repository when they believe they should and you are also spending unnecessary amount of money on defence that’s already there.
This is my opinion.

As to Intercept X, they’ve just called the EDR/XDR the same name as the technology derived from HMPA.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A layered approach is ideal, but since Windows users are generally busy people they tend to steer towards all-in-one solutions that they can install-and-forget.

Reactions: Nevi and Trident

ryanh

Level 1
Thread author
May 2, 2023
A layered approach is ideal, but since Windows users are generally busy people they tend to steer towards all-in-one solutions that they can install-and-forget.
Thanks. Assuming that taking a layered approach is an option, what would you recommend?

Reactions: Sorrento

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I have the free one on my pc and the premium one on the laptop.
I always recommend a 2nd scan as your antivirus scan may be missing unwanted applications etc etc
I'm using ESET Internet Security & NPE & KVRT. The problem with KVRT is, you've to download it again & again when new version available. NPE built in update checker. Another problem with Malwarebytes is there's no portable option, you've to install it on your system & it slow down overall system performance even when it not used ( means after scan closed it from system tray ).

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
What about for example running OSArmor (I have a licence) at the side of F-Secure or Emsisoft for example? Any advantage? I have used HMP.A in the past but as others consider it duplication of your AV/AM.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
I'm running BitDefender GravityZone XDR. Its light and fast on my system and it has both antimalware and firewall protection.

Seriously, you don't need anything else with an endpoint security product.

• Wow
Reactions: Sorrento

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.