Is this a Rogue new version Antivirus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
I am wondering if this is a Rogue antivirus software?

I tried it and after testing it I reset my PC using an IMAGE BACKUP I made to be safe.

Is this another Fake Company attempt with the hacker Weathered ROSE which is also known to be used with the company ANVI I think it is? Not sure, just asking?

Today I notice a license offer here Secure Hunter Anti-Malware Pro (100% Discount)

Either way, I completely removed everything with this software after giving it a try using a IMAGE BACKUP that I had made before trying that WAS NOT CONNECTED TO MY PC during the test.

While trying this software, FIRST AND FOREMOST, I downloaded the EICAR Test files and scanned them with it and it did not SHOW ANYTHING AT ALL, it had NO RESULTS AT ALL meaning it did not consider it a virus. Even Windows Defender while some might thing it is weak catches that on download.

Whatever the case, I wanted to get the word out there and ask others opinions on this particular software.

Their official website I will list below, and I noticed a thread here on this site from 2014 asking for beta testers and such, but they never followed up, meaning they were trying to see in my opinion what someone or something was capable of, am I wrong? Thoughts?

Just asking some question for those who might know, and I don't need EXPLANATIONS from the people who MAKE IT. If you have to explain yourself from the start then there is something fishy to begin with in my opinion.

Here is their official site link.... Thoughts?

Code:
http://www.securehunter.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
This software been advertised all over the place and some with giveaways. Considering the forums that have been advertised, I doubt it is rogue.

test run it on a vm.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
While I was just testing this software, and I restored my PC using an Image backup at boot. I wanted to point out, that unless you are using a Virtual machine software setting that there are malicious programs out there that can scan and send and steal your private data in less than a second. So "JUST BEING ABLE TO RESTORE FROM AN IMAGE BACKUP DOES NOT MAKE YOU SAFE"... I'm not saying that this software is doing that, or that it's Rogue or malicious or demeaning it in anyway, I'm just asking some question from the thoughts of others here who know more than I about these things?

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
The overall website looks extremely suspicious to me.
A simple example is the page title: It displays an absolutely nonsense name, which contains many terms which are frequently entered in search engines by users, e.g. "Anti-Malware", "Internet Security".
This is a common trick utilized by (mostly questionable) websites in order to appear as related results when a user searches for a specific term using a search engine.

I recommend you restore your system from that system image.

EDIT: After a more thorough look into the website, it seems that the software is rather unpopular, however it still retains a sense of riskiness. Either way, I would recommend you ask around for a different security solution. There many available, including reliable free ones. I personally wouldn't take my chances with an application as questionable as this.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
The fact that it doesn't even catch the EICAR test downloads is a red flag to me... Just wanted to let others know.

Base opinions on EICAR test alone is a red flag in my book.

In any case, I just ran it on VM. results are quite poor. Will require a lot more work, since they use inhouse engine.

At this stage, I would not consider rogue, but rather an "alpha" version.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Actually now I remember where I seen that name before popping up.
Here: Secure Hunter Anti-Malware Software Beta Testing

Sorry, I should have said realized and mentioned that there is a definite difference using the words like "Rogue" and "Malicious" or "Intrusive".

I should have just asked simply : "Is this software bad? And or is it trying to steal my personal data and or do harm or use my data in a way to profit at my expense?".....

Thank you all to who reply.

Actually now I remember where I seen that name before popping up.
Here: Secure Hunter Anti-Malware Software Beta Testing

Thanks, that was my first and "Only point of reference I could find" as to this software. I got the impression that it was beta testing not just the software itself, but how it might stand up against well known Internet Professionals know to frequent the forums here.

And based on the replies, some kinda SMUG which were understandably so : "I mean you don't market a product without having a clear understanding of at least the language to the people you are asking for advice from".

Either way, I wanted to get the word out there. In my opinion, this software has an agenda, and it's not to keep you safe.

I am speaking for one from my own personal experience and that alone.

NOTE : While it gives you the option to start at startup, there is nothing added there, but it does add a "SERVICE" which doesn't seem to detect NOTHING where viruses go. SO perhaps, it is a phone home service added? Not sure.

Just glad that I keep a running "DIS-CONNECTED" Image backup so I could remove this software because while it might seem harmless on the forefront, it's nefarious means behind the scenes may possibly do harm??????

JUST MY OPINIONS and THOUGHTS.............

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Answer to your question:
I should have just asked simply : "Is this software bad? And or is it trying to steal my personal data and or do harm or use my data in a way to profit at my expense?".....
At this stage, because little is known about it: It is in my books an alpha solution with a poor engine, which makes ClamAV 100% better.

I did some tests again with older packs (which are rather over 2 months old at least) and I can say ClamAV had a 87% rate while this had a lovely 18%.

I'll have to dig in deeper to see what is tied to the system after installing and running, along with its connections etc, but that will take some time digging and to be honest: it ain't worth my time.

Considering the "developer" is still "active" in MT and also you see hardly any feedback on the solution across the web, most likely everyone is passing it and ignoring it.

If the solution was harmful, which at this stage there is hardly any info available unless someone does some digging to see its hooks and so fort, it would be popping up left right and center on common security forums at least.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Answer to your question:

At this stage, because little is known about it: It is in my books an alpha solution with a poor engine, which makes ClamAV 100% better.

I did some tests again with older packs (which are rather over 2 months old at least) and I can say ClamAV had a 87% rate while this had a lovely 18%.

I'll have to dig in deeper to see what is tied to the system after installing and running, along with its connections etc, but that will take some time digging and to be honest: it ain't worth my time.

Considering the "developer" is still "active" in MT and also you see hardly any feedback on the solution across the web, most likely everyone is passing it and ignoring it.

If the solution was harmful, which at this stage there is hardly any info available unless someone does some digging to see its hooks and so fort, it would be popping up left right and center on common security forums at least.

Thanks, while I know some of these "ANTI" companies have to make an impression, this one is not ready for prime time no doubt. Not catching the Eicar test was the worst possible start in my opinion, I didn't see it doing anything except running as a service.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I just checking their giveaway and official site. Giveaway session is temporary disabled and wait for their team (maybe to repair it). I agree with @DracusNarcrym , they use SEO tactic to optimize their search result in official site.

William Harris

Oct 24, 2014
HI Again

1. We developed Secure Hunter Anti-Malware PRO for the last 24 months .
2. We did run a beta testing for more than 12 months (no software is perfect ask bill gates : ))
3. We will improve the software all the time.
4. MalwareTips is a great place to get our software further(we got lots of tips to improve) but you deal too much with things that are not relevant to our product.
5. We are not asking for any details when you download the software only a feedback after the trial is over & on purchase.
6. The co-founders are everywhere LinkedIn Facebook twitter to contact them they are nice guys : )
7.Regarding f-secure.com http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/website-safety-reports/domain/securehunter.com/ no issues
8. Enjoy the software and help us with tips.

Good to be back :)

Thank you in advanced
Good day.

Code:
http://www.securehunter.com/'

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
What do you mean we deal with things that are not relevant to your product? I believe you misunderstood but I believe the general consensus is that no one is using the software due to certain issues that have been highlighted in this and another thread.
Your software has been advertised in some forums but as giveaways or info. You claim that your engine is in house yet clamav results versus your engine is like bitdefender results versus clamav. One suggestion so you can take it to the developers: Take it off paid mode and bring it to beta yes again but swap the engine and at least use clamav which is open source.

As it stands it is clear people so not even touch the software due to its problems and the sense of some sort of rogue or useless program. No offense. Just being honest.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@William Harris Care to explain why exactly there would be so many modifications in the log I exported?
It is quite alarming the stuff that is added, modified and deleted, both on folders and registry keys...
Link: http://www.filedropper.com/modifications
InstallWatch reported the exact changes in my VM as well.
I'd like to keep calling this suspicious...

It's funny how it apparently overwrites even Microsoft Solitaire game resources. :/

I

illumination

And based on the replies, some kinda SMUG which were understandably so : "I mean you don't market a product without having a clear understanding of at least the language to the people you are asking for advice from".

For future reference, this was not being smug. If a developer "or so called" posts a thread with a product, the website IP is US based, he has an English name, and can not speak English correctly, it is a 1st stage Red Flag. Something is not right, and you probably should not download that application. The fact that after this was pointed out and asking about the developer and product returned zero information, was the next red flag. This is common sense and safe surfing/downloading habit.

William Harris

Oct 24, 2014
Hi

First we respect any feedback from you guys (We are not a malware or rouge or whatever).

We tried InstallWatch on our product at our lab, test on windows 7 x64 VM and it looks fine nothing close to your report .
Can you please tell me What is the OS you try to install it on ?
Are there any other working software that may be cause this issue.

Please provide more information

Thank you
William H.
SecureHunter Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.