Question is this email phishing

General Security Discussions
22 Replies 3,537 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

DDE_Server

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Forum Veteran
iDear gents ,

i just have recived this email about purchasing Microsoft 365 subscription however I did not do this . i checked my Microsoft portal no billing or subscription and even I do not have any payment card tied to my account . shall I report it as phising in the email
1736709804495.png
 
Yes, it definitely sounds like a phishing attempt. Please do not click on any links in the email and report it as phishing.
 
i have scanned the link URL without opening on Virtustotal. it is only detected by one AV engine (Malware URL)

1736710225328.png
 
i checked my Microsoft account to see if I am being hacked but nothing appears under subscription part
This is exactly what I use browser.lol for. Found a suspicious link? Use this website to open it.
I do not trust it may escape it and download any Trojans
I checked the subscription tab and billing nothing was assigned under the Microsoft account I have
I can send you the link to verify lol

1736710901742.png
 
i checked my Microsoft account to see if I am being hacked but nothing appears under subscription part

I do not trust it may escape it and download any Trojans
I checked the subscription tab and billing nothing was assigned under the Microsoft account I have
I can send you the link to verify lol

View attachment 287135
Use squareX to open it, it cannot escape at all since it's not even through your intrernet, it's routed through a vpn
 
iDear gents ,

i just have recived this email about purchasing Microsoft 365 subscription however I did not do this . i checked my Microsoft portal no billing or subscription and even I do not have any payment card tied to my account . shall I report it as phising in the email
Use the Report Phishing button in Outlook (new or old version). You might need a M365 subscription for that Report Phishing option to be enabled and appear.

I do not trust it may escape it and download any Trojans
No
 
Have you bought what is says you have? If you haven't, then delete it and you'll be fine. No need to reset your credentials if you haven't clicked any links. Common phishing emails :)
i didnot but as a preventive action I deserted my password with more 32 characters and 2FA is enabled. i reported as phishing and blocked the sender
 
i didnot but as a preventive action I deserted my password with more 32 characters and 2FA is enabled. i reported as phishing and blocked the sender
A malicious email can do no harm, unless you open an infected attachment, or visit a link in the email. Even if you do open a link, it's is very rare to get infected just by visiting a website. For the most part, you actually need to download and open an infected file. Emails like this, are usually just trying to get you to a visit a phishing website, where they will ask you for payment details, rather than trying to infect your computer.

The best way to deal with emails like this, is to report the email as a phishing email as you did and then delete them. This email came from a legitimate Microsoft email address, so it's not a good idea to block it. Usually there's no much point blocking email addresses, because for the most part, scammers and spammers never use the same email address more than once.
 
A malicious email can do no harm, unless you open an infected attachment, or visit a link in the email. Even if you do open a link, it's is very rare to get infected just by visiting a website. For the most part, you actually need to download and open an infected file. Emails like this, are usually just trying to get you to a visit a phishing website, where they will ask you for payment details, rather than trying to infect your computer.

The best way to deal with emails like this, is to report the email as a phishing email as you did and then delete them. This email came from a legitimate Microsoft email address, so it's not a good idea to block it. Usually there's no much point blocking email addresses, because for the most part, scammers and spammers never use the same email address more than once.
Well said 👍
 
This is exactly what I use browser.lol for. Found a suspicious link? Use this website to open it.
seems like very good info so I went to browser.lol and it wants me to "sign with with your Google account" which seems contraindicated if I'm trying to avoid phishing, etc... :unsure::unsure:
created free account NOT using Google acct info, and very slow -- I trust it works better for you.
 
Last edited:
I personally use squareX since its wayyyy better, it's a free extension on chrome
seems like very good info so I went to browser.lol and it wants me to "sign with with your Google account" which seems contraindicated if I'm trying to avoid phishing, etc... :unsure::unsure:
created free account NOT using Google acct info, and very slow -- I trust it works better for you.
 
seems like very good info so I went to browser.lol and it wants me to "sign with with your Google account" which seems contraindicated if I'm trying to avoid phishing, etc... :unsure::unsure:
created free account NOT using Google acct info, and very slow -- I trust it works better for you.
Actually, the service doesn't require account to use. Just click on Quick Launch button, enter the URL and click on the blue Launch a new Workspace button.

Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png

Strange to see that the service is slow for you. It works very fast for me.

 
Last edited:
Actually, the service doesn't require account to use. Just click on Quick Launch button, enter the URL and click on the blue Launch a new Workspace button.

View attachment 287178 View attachment 287179

Strange to see that the service is slow for you. It works very fast for me.


yes very slow (or buggy?) & my ISP is 1 gig down. I also have kasm which looks like same type cloud browsing. I rare use it since mostly I'm only in VMware Linux VM
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top