Is this true about Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I have no experience with Linux, never used it. But ever since seeing my friend using a laptop with a Linux OS a couple of weeks ago, I have been thinking more about it.
He told me that viruses can not infect Linux computers, that Linux is immune to all those bugs that Macs and PCs get a lot.
But doing research, I read that most games do not work with Linux. I would love to have an OS that is immune to infections, but I love my games, and not being able to play them because the OS is not compatible is a really big NO for me.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
You could always dual boot, do a portion of the hard drive with linux for all your regular needs and do windows on another portion for games, also would let you try linux and learn it, while still having the comfort of windows when you want it

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It is possible to have the best of different worlds. This not only speaks my own thoughts as many of our friends (members on this very thread) may have wonderful stories to share sooner, if not later!:) Come to think of it, ..I happen to be on lubuntu which has proven to be a very light and easily transitioned to distro (distribution) of linux. It certainly outperforms my sleeping (in suspended animation)o_O XP.

Linux is not completely immune to problems, although when compared side by side with Windows afaik (as-far-as-I-know) it's as nearly malware free as one could imagine. Do seek out (or search for threads by..) The Dark Lord of the Sith (staff member) @Umbra Polaris whom truly knows the power of the linux side!:D

Currently, I am typing from Chrome on lubuntu; and although Firefox was chosen by developers as their default browser that installs from the iso disk you may choose to burn, I find the Chrome performs best, the noticeable difference is being able to see the smiley faces here!:cool: Loading linux from the iso lets you try the system out before you decide to install, and that's what I call a best kind of test drive!:p You'll be able to find many tutorials both here and on the net, including youtube videos which should bolster your confidence with how-to-download-and-dual-boot-linux-with-Windows.:D
On Windows 8.1 I've only gotten as far as loading manjaro open box distro into Virtual Box (which I'm still quite a newbie using):oops: while using the pre-installed Midori:confused: (webkit) browser.

I recommend reading linux descriptions and reviews on softpedia.com. Once there, <click> on the linux tab before you search names such as lubuntu, xubuntu, manjaro, korora, & mint! Mm, don't they sound yummy!?o_O They're all free.:) Finally, here is an article I wish I'd read sooner. It is a very user friendly introduction to the light linux distro, lubuntu.;)
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/...-xp-users-should-switch-to-lubuntu-this-april

Happy hunting, and do have fun with it too!;) :):)

Last edited:

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I was told I would have to uninstall Windows 7 in order to use Linux. I am also not sure my Asus can hold dual OS.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I just installed Linux Mint 17 alongside Win 7, dual boot works great and I am liking mint! I am on Mint right now and it seems very fast and stable so far! It can get infected but it's less likely to happen as opposed to Windows.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You can get infections on any OS, none are immune to getting infections.
Windows and Android are only targeted more by malware because they are so popular, if Linux was as popular it would have the same malware problems. Linux does have many advantages for security but is not as user-friendly as Windows and is geared for more advanced users with learning curves. Some users can convert over to Linux without many problems while other users just hate it mostly because most popular Windows software doesn't have good alternatives for Linux.

Ever user is different, so I recommend using a Live Linux CD before installing it, that way you will know if it might be something you will like and can deal with. Some users make the mistake of installing Linux before testing it and it ends up being something that they don't like or can understand how to use. I have tried several different Linux distributions in the past and they were ok but I still prefer Windows much better since it has more supported software and I know it like the back of my hand, there is not nothing I can not do on Windows.

With Linux I was running into too many blocked walls which required a lot of searching and reading to find out how to do the same functions that I can easily do with Windows. For a basic user who just needs a web browser and do just basic functions on their PC, Linux will be able to do that great since it does have a variety of open-source software for basic functions. Many distributions already come loaded with some basic software.

Enjoy!! :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
My laptop has less than 300 gigs HD space and only 2 gigs ram.

I have a 1 Gig Ram old Pentium 4 dual core, shared video with Win 7 and Linux (which is not really a disk space hog)

D

Deleted member 178

In Linux you can still get infected but less than Windows, why?

- you have less malwares on Linux, since the world uses Windows, so it is the target of choice unlike Linux.

- you cant just infect yourself just by "happy clicking" since every system changes requires elevated rights and password input (like UAC but better).

- if you need a software , you go to the build-in repositories (like android playstore) where all files are checked before.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
:):) I am *smiling* as I share that I also have older hardware.;) Like WinXPert, I have a 1 GB RAM, a Pentium(R)4 CPU 1.79 GHz, although, as far as I know, it's not a duel core unit that is booted beside the sleeping WinXP(which also lacks the '-ert'!).:p:D ;)
I just came back from visiting the humble and retired Windows system which, when compared to linux lubuntu, uses resources more like a Humvee with a leaky fuel tank! In contrast, linux has a mobility online that's equal to if not completely preferable to it's (literally) silent partner XP.:cool:

As Umbra mentioned, password protection is a security plus. Just make sure to think up a password you'll be able to more easily remember, and not at all like my horror when discovering I'd need to remember my own, it was quite a close shave which had me wishing for LastPass, ac-cursedly unavailable:mad: for this kind of situation leaving me nearly marooned while sailing on the inland seas of linux!:p I was relieved:rolleyes: when my internal CPU (neither a duel core):confused: kicked in at the last moment, just as I was about to surrender to failure that was not to pass. :oops:Whew!!!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Here is a more ancient rig: VIA-C7M 1600 MHz 894 RAM Core Sole. Dual Boot: WinXP Home and Lucid Linux

n3lph5.jpg

I infect Windows with malware for testing purposes and uses Linux to remove it manually only if it's very difficult to remove.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Yes, it's called Frugal Install, it can coexist with another distro in an NTSF partition

243hglu.jpg

Same drive/partitions viewed on Linux side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 178

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
There are "cross platform viruses" and YES! there are Malware for Linux, if you update and install an AV it is ok :)

Reactions: WinXPert
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.