Is "Time Travel" possible with the speed of light?

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
If I couldnt explain myself ; watch this video in order to understand the topic more clearly...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I guess only one question remains; Is the speed of light actually 299,792,458 meters per second?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

GREAT VIDEO

I really enjoyed it.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
This isn't quite time travel =p Time travel would mean going faster than light. As you reach light speed time "slows down" but you also gain kinetic energy ie; the thing that makes you move.

We know that E=MC^2 ie: energy = mass. Therefor when you take on energy you take on mass. So the KE (kinetic energy) that speeds you up is also slowing you down. The amount of KE (remember, it's mass) you (a single electron) would need to take on to pass light speed (or achieve it) would take is greater than the amount of energy in the universe.

Time travel is unfeasible in this way.

There's also the matter of blue shift. If I'm traveling 5 mph and i hit a poll i hit that poll at 5mph. If I'm traveling at 99% of the speed of light and I hit anything (dust, particles, even light) the energy transferred to me will be huge.

Time travel is much more feasible when you go into ideas like wormholes, which are mostly theoretical and even in that theory they're not the big gaping holes you'd imagine but are in fact subatomic.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hungry Man said:
If I'm traveling at 99% of the speed of light and I hit anything (dust, particles, even light) the energy transferred to me will be huge.

Reminds me of this. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
E=mc² is energy but not the formula to the kinetic energy; I think it's (mv²)/2 (It was some time ago I had physics).

Once we have the 4th dimension then maybe we could travel through time. I will find an interesting video regarding this topic

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
My point was purely that energy and mass are equivalent. E=MC^2 is the best way to show that since it's the big famous one.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
At light speeds mass becomes infinite so we need infinite acceleration to stay put at that speed. This method is not feasible as this is a one way journey and you cant return back. A better idea is to freeze a person at abs0 so that molecular motion ceases and then de-freeze him at a later period. He would have come to the future without aging.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.