Advice Request Is Tor good for anonymity?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If everyone runs VPN/TOR and gets 100% when tested at whoer.net then the test will have no meaning.

For me WITHOUT using a VPN and tested at whoer.net I get

2X MS tablets running FF/Chrome - 100%
Mobile running FF - 70%. Can't get any higher for mobile.

Running a VPN will cause the above results to drop

Last edited:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Tor Browser would be one of the best browser you can use for anonymity. As for the site, I wouldn't paid it no mind as it just seem to be showing random numbers. If I were to try to 100% anonymity I would try Tails + Tor + VPN.

Here is my Tor browser on the whoer site. I find browserleaks offers a much better testing utility.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 188

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
If you want decent anonymity try Tor. If you want total anonymity, use a VPN, user agent spoofer and canvas fingerprint protection, whilst making sure website cannot use javascript headers to grab your timezone.

You can also try I2P.

~LDogg

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I wrote something on this topic a while back on Malware Tips when the information was fresh, and I provided a link I don't have now. You could probably find my earlier comment by searching.

An author giving a lecture on C-SPAN II asserted this: Tor was created by the US intelligence community. When one goes on Tor, rather than escaping the attention of the US intelligence community, one arouses the attention of the US intelligence community.

So see how you feel about that. Personally I don't have a poor view of the US intelligence community, but I recognize it can have bad actors like James Comey and his clique which featured characters like Peter Strzok. I wouldn't take it for granted that when I cross paths with the US intelligence community I will be dealing with the majority of good guys and not with the minority of bad guys.

It occurs to me now also that if the US intelligence community monitors Tor there is no telling how many other countries' intelligence services do the same. :(

Now I cannot guarantee the above assertions. Not everything said by published authors who have studied a subject turns out to be true. But there's a significant likelihood this is true. If you're curious you could find my original post with its link and see if you can get the author's email address and try to pick his brain.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
Tor will indeed keep you anonymous > so yeah, don't listen to that score rating.

FBI/DOJ couldn't even track or locate the creator of Silk Road on the dark web because of Tor. (They caught him via other means, but yeah > Tor is great)

get a VPN to encrypt all your data on the tor network too for extra boost in Privacy.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I installed TOR latest version today and checked my anonymity with 'whoer.net'. It was showing 40% anonymity!!! How is this possible?

whoer.net not even accessible in my Brave browser returning "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET " must be a super anonymous browser!:D Firefox (without any plugins) on the other hand returned 55% anonymity.

Last edited:

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
whoer.net not even accessible in my Brave browser returning "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET " must be a super anonymous browser!:D Firefox (without any plugins) on the other hand returned 55% anonymity.
:LOL:(y)What about this
I finally got this point. These sites are joke!!! I refresh my page it shows 70% anonymity, refresh again 20% and refresh again 40% and again 20%.

Reactions: Kuttz

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Allow WebRTC ( do not block it ) and see what happens.

That's basically like allowing your browser to get your location data, it's not because of a leak, it's how WebRTC was designed to work.

Reactions: jackwilli

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
nor could i, my router blocked the site lol > Trend Micro AI Protection.

however, a firmware update allowed the site to load.

100% Anonymity score it states.

Reactions: Kuttz

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Shouldn't affect the VPN, unless you using one of those browser extensions which are in fact proxies not real VPNs.
I'm using a genuine full system VPN and sadly even that is killed when allowing WebRTC but, as WebRTC is a browser feature and not a VPN feature, using other things does get protected by the VPN. Glad anyway to see more and more browser vendors have understood what it does against a VPN and now implement settings that works.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I'm using a genuine full system VPN and sadly even that is killed when allowing WebRTC but, as WebRTC is a browser feature and not a VPN feature, using other things does get protected by the VPN. Glad anyway to see more and more browser vendors have understood what it does against a VPN and now implement settings that works.
WebRTC should not be leaking your real IP or location under a VPN.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.