Question Is uBlock Origin or Ghostery better for privacy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2023
Use privacy badger with UB
Not recommended!
See here a comment from a member of the uBO team:
By default, uBO blocks ads and trackers.
You should not use any other content-blocking extensions with uBO. Doing so can prevent uBO's privacy or anti-blocker-defusing features from working correctly, including the fixes for YouTube anti-adblock.
Privacy Badger is a content-blocking extension that can certainly cause problems and interfere with uBO.
And since 2020, Privacy Badger defaults to using only using static filters which provides no real benefit over uBO. It used to "learn" about trackers, but this was turned off as a default because of serious security and fingerprinting concerns.
All of this is covered in detail here:
Privacy Badger Is Changing to Protect You Better
TL;DR: Just use uBO.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
I use Chrome as my broser.
So by only using uBO am I at peace?
I also use Avast Online Security (with Avast Free).
I would ditch avast online security and replace it with norton safe web the reason why im telling you this.... Avast has not updated it's extension in years... Same goes for avg. Go to the microsoft store and see when the last time it was updated you will be shocked.

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2023
I use Chrome as my broser.
So by only using uBO am I at peace?
Yes :), but be aware that Chrome will soon deprecate MV2 extensions in favor of MV3 extensions. :cry:
See e.g. this article on Arstechnica.

You could apply the ExtensionManifestV2Availability policy to extend the support for MV2 extensions until June 2025.
To do so, open the command prompt as administrator and enter the following:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome" /v "ExtensionManifestV2Availability" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f

Relaunch Chrome.
(after that Chrome will tell you: "Your browser is managed by your organization")

The MV3 variant of uBO (uBO Lite) will be much less powerful.
Firefox will keep supporting MV2 extensions.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
I would ditch avast online security and replace it with norton safe web the reason why im telling you this.... Avast has not updated it's extension in years... Same goes for avg. Go to the microsoft store and see when the last time it was updated you will be shocked.
AVG and Avast Online Security were both last updated: May 30, 2024 (V22.12.1).

Extension updates may bring bug fixes and new UI features, but everything else can be handled via the backend servers ie. good vs bad sites.

Norton Safe Web is not on the Chrome Web Store.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Extension updates may bring bug fixes and new UI features, but everything else can be handled via the backend servers ie. good vs bad sites.
True.
Norton Safe Web is not on the Chrome Web Store.
It is on the chrome web store but for whatever reason never appears if you search it. Here's a direct link to it:
Symantec Browser Protection is even better than Norton Safe Web. It can detect more but the downside is high CPU usage + can slowdown webpage loading:
Norton Safe Web may not exist anymore in the future since they are moving their product to the Avast engine.

Last edited:

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022

Nunzio_77

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 3, 2023
Vorrei abbandonare Avast Online Security e sostituirlo con Norton Safe Web, motivo per cui te lo dico.... Avast non aggiorna la sua estensione da anni... Lo stesso vale per avg. Vai al Microsoft Store e vedi quando è stato aggiornato l'ultima volta rimarrai scioccato.
ultimo aggiornamento 30/05/24 for Chrome 😉

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.