Advice Request Is using Wireguard safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I am currently using Wireguard with Mullvad. I decided to do a little research to educate myself more on Wireguard. I came across an article from Cactus VPN about Wireguard. After reading most of it (it is long), some statements kinda had me worried about continuing to use Wireguard:

"But you should definitely avoid using the WireGuard protocol if you want your online traffic and Internet privacy to be protected. Unfortunately, it isn’t stable enough to guarantee truly secure connections – not to mention that using WireGuard with a third-party VPN service means you won’t get to take advantage of a no-log policy since the provider can’t adhere to it with WireGuard. "

"And that’s not the only problem – WireGuard has some privacy concerns you should know about. Apparently, WireGuard can’t really be used by third-party VPN providers without logging user data. Why? Because WireGuard’s had no dynamic address management, and the client addresses are hard-coded into the configuration. Also, the way WireGuard works would force providers to store your last login timestamp for each one of your devices in order to reclaim unused IP addresses. "

and more info:

Ideas on those statements? Maybe development on Wireguard has changed since the 2nd article was made on June 28th, 2019?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

if you worry about being discovered/compromised, you wont use anything not considered as stable build. it is the same for security solutions.
i use Wireguard because it is fast but also i have mostly no activities that requires serious anonimity/privacy; in that case, i use TOR over VPN via OpenVPN client.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The first article/report I'm not even gonna check as it's made by another VPN provider and those normally is filthy biased. The second one I actually skimmed through a bit and you might have a point. Perhaps best wait and see it's development first. :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.