is VMware unity mode less safe than regular mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, as I said before, They cut the restrictive Safe Money Shared Folder that was in the past. Safe Money try to protect Your browsing against external attacks but not Your system, so They let the data go from sandboxed browser to system... that's how I understand it ;) (maybe I'm wrong :D) so that's why it is only a sandbox for browsers.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
so safe money is in good shape, for what it is.
But I don't think it is coded to protect the file system.
I just did a little test by installing utorrent free version on my computer, and then trying the java trick of "pimp my utorrent"
This entails going to a certain website
Pimp my uTorrent : An angular.js application that removes the ads in uTorrent with a single click
and clicking on a button.
I did it from safe money, and the windows notification popped up right away in utorrent, asking whether I allow or not.
So it seems to me that safe money has free access to the file system.
turns out this was not a fair test, because also Sandboxie failed at default settings.

Reactions: harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.