Advice Request Is VoodooShield enough alone to protect a computer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Voodoshield Free alone enough?

• Yes, pretty much what you need.

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • No. You'll still need to use traditional antivirus software such as Windows Defender.

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Right now using Windows Defender+Voodoshield, have to admit that performance improved a lot in comparison to Bitdefender Free solo.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Right now using Windows Defender+Voodoshield, have to admit that performance improved a lot in comparison to Bitdefender Free solo.
Good choice.

With VoodooShield, you will get a lot of false positives, if your usage patterns are anything like mine. That means you will rely on your own personal judgment in a lot of cases, and you will run things that VS said not to.
So, if you make a mistake, who will save you from yourself?
That's why it's better in real-life usage to have AV as a safety net.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Good choice.

With VoodooShield, you will get a lot of false positives, if your usage patterns are anything like mine. That means you will rely on your own personal judgment in a lot of cases, and you will run things that VS said not to.
So, if you make a mistake, who will save you from yourself?
That's why it's better in real-life usage to have AV as a safety net.

Thanks. Yeah I have been getting some false positives, specially with torrent/stream software.
The work of whitelisting is not that hard, and it is inevitable in anti-exe sofware.
Greetings :)

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
If your PC is more of a static, all software comes from reputable source then VDS(even free)would be enough IMO for basic use... If not then an AV or Scanner/Sandbox/Virtualization is definitely needed. If you fear exploits/worms then you might want to add a sandbox(SBIE or CCAV) for your browser, exploits are rare unless you go looking for it, and most worm I encounter comes from USB.

Been 2 years since I got an exploit in the wild from IE and another app only had a sandbox/default-deny back then, another instance while testing MBAE, and for a static system I didn't worry actually got excited...:D

Last edited:

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
I think a lot of it comes down to the layered security. While it certainly is possible that VS can be run on its own, when I first heard of it, I would see people using it along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand scanning, or Zemana Anti-Malware on-demand. Frankly it is rare that I ever hear of people running ONLY Voodooshield as their ONLY defense. Even if Windows Defender is disabled, I would advise a good on-demand scanner to have in conjunction with it. Likely even two. I feel that perhaps a real-time AV may not be necessary with VS, but some other tools are needed.

Artificial intelligence

Level 1
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
Please understand something, VoodooShield is not very good and can not and will not replace a traditional AV. Do not become obsessed with this product, because if it fails (it already looks a bit) your safety will be compromised.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Please understand something, VoodooShield is not very good and can not and will not replace a traditional AV. Do not become obsessed with this product, because if it fails (it already looks a bit) your safety will be compromised.

I am using it alongside Windows Defender.
Im not looking for a perfect product - it doesnt exist.
I chose Voodoshield because it blocks 99% of malware and it is light and nice.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
i completly disagree. When it comes to protection voodooshield is far more reliable than a traditional av and will protect u way more than a av can do, if u click the right things. it is not realy userfriendly even when Dan say it is. i can, and will never install something like voodooshield on friends or family pc because popups are not good for them end they will be infected in the end. But, voodooshield is a ecellent protection solution and if u know what ur doing, it is enough alone.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
i completly disagree. When it comes to protection voodooshield is far more reliable than a traditional av and will protect u way more than a av can do, if u click the right things. it is not realy userfriendly even when Dan say it is. i can, and will never install something like voodooshield on friends or family pc because popups are not good for them end they will be infected in the end. But, voodooshield is a ecellent protection solution and if u know what ur doing, it is enough alone.

I agree with you 100%. Voodooshield has a excellent protection, but it is not the most user friendly software.
I think it is more suitable for tech-savvy guys, because most people would get upset about the false positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.