Advice Request Is Windows Defender effective enough to protect?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I have license I bought for KIS and Emsisoft but after reinstalling Win10, I am considering to use Windows Defender, Is it good enough? What are your recommendations?

WD is heavy and lacks protection in some areas IMO.

Emsisoft has seemingly started to struggle lately and just seems to keep dropping in standing. (along with some issues CS addressed, and changes Umbra brought up) If you have a license for Kaspersky, then the decision is already made for you, run Kaspersky.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Let's buy something that I will no longer use".

Kaspersky, Emsisoft and Windows Defender Antivirus are all effective against malware, they all are sufficient to protect a PC user. The difference however, now that's the interesting part, the difference is how the End User behaves on the Windows 10 PC.

Once you have decided.. Instead of adding more real-time signature crap, just lock-down Windows.

Can't be bothered to go into detail, but no AV is 100% idiot-proof. Ask anyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Appguard, Voodooshield and Shadow Defender. Also if only using Shadow Defender, add an antikeylogger.
There is always giveaways on Shadow Defender. That is how I started , then liked it so much I bought it.

I

illumination

Here is where i am with it all.

-Do you have only one system on your home network, then awesome, you can more then likely get by with windows 10 defaults and safe habits combined with regular backups.

-Do you have 5 or more devices on your network, as most families do now days, is the system you are asking about your main Hub of the network? You might want to consider going with something a little more robust if so, especially something with Network monitoring.

Above all else, your security, has to work for you, as far as your system resources, your system uses, and your knowledge of system and security products, you need to be comfortable with what you chose, if you have doubts about one, then consider another.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Here is a good analogy:
KIS will protect you against humans and all aliens in the cosmos.
Emsisoft will protect you against humans and all aliens in the Solar System.
Windows Defender on Windows 10, will protect you only against humans.
For some people, aliens (like WannaCry) can be dangerous, but for many of us (home users) they are probably not.:)
KIS is the most comprehensive product. This can be fully visible especially on Enterprise networks.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'll quote myself here because I actually uninstalled Avast Premier at 16 months, of the 24 month license. (8 months left, now expired).

This is really an important post..

People are wasting to much money on these placebo security offerings. We're all guilty of it.. How many of us have products laying around we purchased and are rotting away, expiring without being used? We often don't even complete the 30 day trial before buying them, then regretting it later.

1) Only install what you need and use on your system. (reducing threat surface, use portable if you can!)
2) Use a GOOD hardware firewall. (if you can afford it, a UTM, far better)
3) Use Chrome, install uBlock.
4) Remove windows bloat/telemetry, and lock it down.
5) Use a quality anti-malware DNS service (or Pi-Hole if you have $30 and a brain)

Move along.. Don't buy stuff.. You are done.. Just don't do dumb things. You are all set, quite possibly without spending any money and without worrying about renewals of this or that, or yet another security suite letting you down or impeding your computer use.

Or you could buy a Chromebook or switch to Linux/Debian and do nothing..

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here is a good analogy:
KIS will protect you against humans and all aliens in the cosmos.
Emsisoft will protect you against humans and all aliens in the Solar System.
Windows Defender on Windows 10, will protect you only against humans.
For some people, aliens (like WannaCry) can be dangerous, but for many of us (home users) they are probably not.:)
…..
:LOL::LOL::LOL:Could it be said any better?:LOL::LOL::LOL:You tell it like it is!

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Most people here are eager to experiment with several security solutions. So, the best way for them is trying Kaspersky, Emsisoft, Defender, etc.
Different people can hardly have the similar habits/wants/requirements and something that suits them, not necessarily will suit you. Furthermore, some hardware/software configurations do not like some AVs.

Defender can be irritating because of the slow file copy, checking files in every opened folder, inconvenient Quarantine. Also, Defender security is user dependent (SmartScreen alerts). Those factors can be important for some people. On Windows 10, Defender has a big advantage to be the most stable and compatible with OS (my choice).

On the other side, both KIS and Emsisoft are more user-friendly (worth paying) and are recommended by experts.
Read carefully the post of @ForgottenSeer 58943. He pointed out some important security factors.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.