Not open for further replies.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I have mcafee internet security and malwarebytes pro so is it worth running xvirus personal guard becuase it uses up a bit of ram and cpu

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
It's gotta' long way to go to be the next malwarebytes... malwarebytes scans 117k worth of files in less than 15min... make it 20mins with the other tickboxes... xvirus got to 12k after 40 minutes.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
not at this point its zero day protection needs more work on it in fact it be the av comeback just like gdata did in the 2011 version if they work hard enough on it

S

Sr. Normal

Xvirus worth .

I'm using it on two different computers for a few months and am very happy with its performance. It is true that sometimes has false positives , so you have to be careful when deleting files contaminated .

I, as a user of this product , l recommend it. It will not consume many resources, scan is very fast, effective shields, I just did not like is that Windows does not boot directly , you have to give permission , otherwise an excellent choice

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Xvirus worth .

I'm using it on two different computers for a few months and am very happy with its performance. It is true that sometimes has false positives , so you have to be careful when deleting files contaminated .

I, as a user of this product , l recommend it. It will not consume many resources, scan is very fast, effective shields, I just did not like is that Windows does not boot directly , you have to give permission , otherwise an excellent choice
you are aware that its zero day protection not at gdatas level yet

S

Sr. Normal

Sure , but I have two simultaneous antivirus on a computer with Qihoo 360 and another with AVG IS.
My experience with Xvirus is that when you upload a FP solve it very fast, and his team gives the image of having his work always updated. As with the examples of the " Virus Exchange " section.
I now would not change it for another free . But that's my experience , I also tell you that I'm looking forward to seeing the final version of Crystal Security , which is doing very good job too

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Surely it will be full worth to try as considering its pretty active on development stage, but for optimizing setup its matter to have RealtimeAV + Companion AV (Xvirus or MBAM Premium choose one)

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
It's gotta' long way to go to be the next malwarebytes... malwarebytes scans 117k worth of files in less than 15min... make it 20mins with the other tickboxes... xvirus got to 12k after 40 minutes.
Malware bytes does not only scan files but also the registry, which is much faster. So thats not the true number of "files" scanned but files + registry. And with some tweaks on the settings with xvirus you can make the xvirus scan much faster.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Xvirus worth .

Hello goes to run without the help of UAC is a little trick .-)) In xvirus uncheck automatically start at boot. http://www.7tutorials.com/use-task-scheduler-launch-programs-without-uac-prompts When you run a startup file, select "xvirusstart.exe" and message will no longer UAC

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

Just read the comments above and I want to clear some things up about Xvirus. As this post is a reponse (all in one) to some other comments by other members, I shall tag them: @Andrew999 @Marin Eres @viktik @nsm0220 @Sr. Normal @Billcomputerman123

Xvirus Personal Guard was founded back in 2010, and has been developed by one single developer, who is very active on this forum, @Dani Santos. For one person to create products across the line of Antimalware, Firewall, System Cleaner, Adblocker,... whilst being distracted by other things can be quite a impressive task.

Personally, I like Xvirus, and I know the developer of it, Dani, very well. While, I neither recommend nor do not recommend the product (because I am trying to keep this biased), I would like to say that if you try the product, you may like it. Security software works out differently on other peoples system when it comes to performance, and depending on how the user uses the computer may depend on the amount of protection they are required and if the product, Xvirus Personal Guard, will work for you.

For example, for somebody who checks the sources of where their downloads came from before they download or execute a new program they are not already ware of, does not visit untrusted/low-reputated websites on the web frequently and can distinguish between a legitimate detection from the product and a false positive detection, Xvirus may/may not work for you.

For somebody who does not check the source of where their downloads came from before they download or execute a new program they are not already aware of, does visit untrusted/low-reputated websites on the web frequently and cannot distinguish between a legitmate detection from the product and a false positive, Xvirus may/may not work for you.

Like I previously said:
Security software works out differently on other peoples system when it comes to performance, and depending on how the user uses the computer may depend on the amount of protection they are required and if the product, Xvirus Personal Guard, will work for you.

As with the examples of the " Virus Exchange " section.
@Malware1 manages the Xvirus database for Dani. This means that any malicious samples that Malware1 comes across will be added to the Xvirus database. In other words, any samples on the Virus Exchance which are posted will be detected by Xvirus within at least the hour of being accepted (usually), if the thread was accepted by Malware1. If the thread was accepted by @MalwareHunter, Malware1 will make sure all samples are added to the database once he see's it. (I assume that Dani also adds to the database, he used to before Malware1 started helping with the database however all samples from MT are added by Malware1 (new samples) which he checks on the Malware Hub).

If you want to really test Xvirus, don't use any websites like:
- Malware Domain List
- Malc0de
- MalwareTips Virus Exchange submissions
- MalwareURL
- CleanMX
... Yeah, you get it.

If Malware1 gets a sample, the signature will be added. If you want to test the heuristic side of Xvirus you can do this:

Beat Malware1 at his own game (malware hunting) and get some samples he doesn't have yet.

If the detection name on Xvirus is "Malware", this represents that the sample was added to the database. If it is another detection name other than "Malware", for example: Adware.______ etc, then it's a generic/heuristic detection from the Xvirus engine.

you are aware that its zero day protection not at gdatas level yet
I can agree with you, the Xvirus zero day protection in my opinion is not as good as GDatas level... However, Xvirus is not designed to be ran on it's own as the main "Antivirus" product. It was designed by the developer to be ran alongside another "Antivirus" product, and try to catch out things the main security solution does not find. These gives the user protection from 2 vendors engines (unless you are also using a product like Emsisoft which uses both their own and the Bitdefender engine).

@nsm0220, It would be nice if you could explain how they can improve their zero day protection. Surely, if you know it's bad, you could think of at least some reasons to how they could go about improving it?

Firstly, Malwarebytes has been around for a longer time than Xvirus, and they have a whole development team. This allows them to work faster and split out different jobs for the project between themselves.

Secondly, sure Malwarebytes may have a faster scanner, however I would rather Xvirus have a slower scanner and POSSIBLY detect threats which MBAM may not than have Xvirus have a super-fast scanner and detect nothing.

Thirdly, read Dani's response above as he mentions about how Malwarebytes also scans the registry (if enabled, of course).
---

Xvirus heuristic analysis seems to only be introduced recently (towards the end of last year). It's constantly being improved and adapted to detect more threats on a day-to-day basis (around that, I would hope).

Xvirus Personal Guard is a FREE product. If you want scanning done real-time for when file modifications occur or when a new file is created etc. on another product like Malwarebytes, you'll have to take out your wallet and pay up. For a free product, you should try it and see if you like it enough to use it.

Just experiment until you find a good, working configuration.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hello goes to run without the help of UAC is a little trick .-)) In xvirus uncheck automatically start at boothttp://www.7tutorials.com/use-task-scheduler-launch-programs-without-uac-prompts
You can actually schedule this task programmatically. For example, the developer may schedule the task to automatically run Xvirus as Administrator (avoiding the UAC prompt) on the installer.

Submit it as Feedback, and see if it becomes introduced into the product one day.

Reactions: Oxygen

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Of course you can trust on XVirus it doesn't use that much ram while i tested it (it used around 57mb – 67mb) pretty light on system and does not impact on system performance. it has high detection rate ( though it detects legit files as malware ). You can read review here or you can check some of it's video reviews @MT.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

Just read the comments above and I want to clear some things up about Xvirus. As this post is a reponse (all in one) to some other comments by other members, I shall tag them: @Andrew999 @Marin Eres @viktik @nsm0220 @Sr. Normal @Billcomputerman123

Xvirus Personal Guard was founded back in 2010, and has been developed by one single developer, who is very active on this forum, @Dani Santos. For one person to create products across the line of Antimalware, Firewall, System Cleaner, Adblocker,... whilst being distracted by other things can be quite a impressive task.

Personally, I like Xvirus, and I know the developer of it, Dani, very well. While, I neither recommend nor do not recommend the product (because I am trying to keep this biased), I would like to say that if you try the product, you may like it. Security software works out differently on other peoples system when it comes to performance, and depending on how the user uses the computer may depend on the amount of protection they are required and if the product, Xvirus Personal Guard, will work for you.

For example, for somebody who checks the sources of where their downloads came from before they download or execute a new program they are not already ware of, does not visit untrusted/low-reputated websites on the web frequently and can distinguish between a legitimate detection from the product and a false positive detection, Xvirus may/may not work for you.

For somebody who does not check the source of where their downloads came from before they download or execute a new program they are not already aware of, does visit untrusted/low-reputated websites on the web frequently and cannot distinguish between a legitmate detection from the product and a false positive, Xvirus may/may not work for you.

Like I previously said:

@Malware1 manages the Xvirus database for Dani. This means that any malicious samples that Malware1 comes across will be added to the Xvirus database. In other words, any samples on the Virus Exchance which are posted will be detected by Xvirus within at least the hour of being accepted (usually), if the thread was accepted by Malware1. If the thread was accepted by @MalwareHunter, Malware1 will make sure all samples are added to the database once he see's it. (I assume that Dani also adds to the database, he used to before Malware1 started helping with the database however all samples from MT are added by Malware1 (new samples) which he checks on the Malware Hub).

If you want to really test Xvirus, don't use any websites like:
- Malware Domain List
- Malc0de
- MalwareTips Virus Exchange submissions
- MalwareURL
- CleanMX
... Yeah, you get it.

If Malware1 gets a sample, the signature will be added. If you want to test the heuristic side of Xvirus you can do this:

Beat Malware1 at his own game (malware hunting) and get some samples he doesn't have yet.

If the detection name on Xvirus is "Malware", this represents that the sample was added to the database. If it is another detection name other than "Malware", for example: Adware.______ etc, then it's a generic/heuristic detection from the Xvirus engine.

I can agree with you, the Xvirus zero day protection in my opinion is not as good as GDatas level... However, Xvirus is not designed to be ran on it's own as the main "Antivirus" product. It was designed by the developer to be ran alongside another "Antivirus" product, and try to catch out things the main security solution does not find. These gives the user protection from 2 vendors engines (unless you are also using a product like Emsisoft which uses both their own and the Bitdefender engine).

@nsm0220, It would be nice if you could explain how they can improve their zero day protection. Surely, if you know it's bad, you could think of at least some reasons to how they could go about improving it?

Firstly, Malwarebytes has been around for a longer time than Xvirus, and they have a whole development team. This allows them to work faster and split out different jobs for the project between themselves.

Secondly, sure Malwarebytes may have a faster scanner, however I would rather Xvirus have a slower scanner and POSSIBLY detect threats which MBAM may not than have Xvirus have a super-fast scanner and detect nothing.

Thirdly, read Dani's response above as he mentions about how Malwarebytes also scans the registry (if enabled, of course).
---

Xvirus heuristic analysis seems to only be introduced recently (towards the end of last year). It's constantly being improved and adapted to detect more threats on a day-to-day basis (around that, I would hope).

Xvirus Personal Guard is a FREE product. If you want scanning done real-time for when file modifications occur or when a new file is created etc. on another product like Malwarebytes, you'll have to take out your wallet and pay up. For a free product, you should try it and see if you like it enough to use it.

Just experiment until you find a good, working configuration.

Cheers. ;)
i can say that by add a sandbox to monitor the files and let the BB read them and what they do to the sandbox

D

Deleted member 21043

i can say that by add a sandbox to monitor the files and let the BB read them and what they do to the sandbox
I don't think this will be happening anytime soon. I can explain why if necessary.

But, it's a good idea and if done correctly can be very effective and be very good.

Reactions: Billcomputerman123
S

Sr. Normal

@Davidov Thanks, I 'll implement it on my computer . Is one of those interesting things I did not know it could do

@kram7750 I have much to learn, and here you are many who teach me . Thank you, for the "How to"

Thank you both . I can hardly make changes to my computer , I look and look again a thousand times until I decide , that's why I took so long to answer you and to thank you

Reactions: Davidov

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You already are using 2 real-time programs, therefore a third is not required. @Andrew999

Is Xvirus good for standalone protection? I would recommend using well-established vendors for 24/7 protection against new and emerging threats.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
@Davidov Thanks, I 'll implement it on my computer . Is one of those interesting things I did not know it could do

@kram7750 I have much to learn, and here you are many who teach me . Thank you, for the "How to"

Thank you both . I can hardly make changes to my computer , I look and look again a thousand times until I decide , that's why I took so long to answer you and to thank you

glad to help .-)) GL

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.